|#5|

Vineet is at home and working on his laptop. Yet, his mind wanders around Ruhana. He can't stop thinking about her. He is in awe of the relationship that Ruhana shares with her sister, Aanya. She's a completely different being when she's with her sister. A memory from last week flashes in his mind. He came across a new embodiment of his friend.

*****

Ruhana came to his office for a meeting. Since the clients were coming to Vineet's office, the two friends set up a time beforehand to sit and talk for a little while. Ruhana had been herself, except during the business deals. She had grown up to be adamant, rude, and ruthless when it came to work. But she was the same old soul inside whom he had left twenty years ago.

He was adamant about knowing what circumstances led her to be the way she is now. But he couldn't ask her directly. He thought of talking about it with her, but right then, it was time to concentrate on the business deal. Ruhana was explaining something to him when her phone rang. She picked up the call and shouted in the next instant.

"What? I am coming. Please take care of her until I get there."

"Yeah, I will be there in thirty minutes. I am coming."

She answered the call and then turned towards Vineet, telling him that she needed to leave and that he would have to attend to the clients. He was clueless, as she hadn't told him about the car and her reason for being in a hurry.

"Why are you in a hurry? Is everything okay?"

"Aanya is unwell. I need to get back to her." Ruhana replied, tense at the moment.

"Shall I come with you?" He asked.

"No, you handle the clients. I will pick her up from her dance class and take her to the doctor. Please tell the clients that it was a family emergency and that I wasn't here, but I will work on the project as they please. I need to hurry, Vineet." She said that and left hurriedly.

He asked her to call him if she needed his help, which she acknowledged. At the moment, he was perplexed. He wanted to help her, but he couldn't do anything against her wishes. He was lost in thought when the manager informed him that the clients had arrived and he got busy with the meeting.

The meeting ended on a happy note. They got the deal and the clients expressed their wish to meet Ruhana. Vineet promised them that they would meet them soon, with a rough sketch of the project's work process. They agreed and took their leave.

Meanwhile, Vineet made a call to Ruhana, who luckily picked up the call. He inquired about Aanya, and he was surprised when Ruhana asked him to come home. Along with it, she also sent him a prescription for medicines. Postponing his further meetings, Vineet left the office, and after purchasing the medicine, he reached Ruhana's home.

He entered the room and found Aanya lying on the bed, and Ruhana was keeping wet towels on her head. He rushed towards the sisters.

"What happened?" he asked.

"It is a viral fever. She's been uncomfortable since last night. And today she fainted in her dance class. Did you get the medicine?" Ruhana asked.

"Yeah! Did you take her to the hospital?"

"Yeah, Vineet. The doctor says it will take three days. This girl is very naughty. I told her not to play in the rain, but she never listens to me." Ruhana made a face.

"Ah! She's exactly like her older sister." He winked at her.

"Huh! No! I always take care of myself. She doesn't." Ruhana tended to complain, causing Vineet to laugh.

"Yeah, I know. When she has an older sister, why would she care?" Vineet shrugged his shoulders.

Ruhana smiled at his words and asked him to feel at home. She ordered her housekeeper to prepare coffee for them while she tended to her sister. Vineet had seen a change in her demeanour. She was highly worried for her sister, and it was the complete opposite of what she showed in the business world.

He was in awe of her, and after staying for a little while, he headed home, assuring Ruhana that she could call him anytime, in case of an emergency.

*****

Vineet came out of his trance with the ring of his phone. He attended the call, and before he could say anything, Ruhana's raging voice fell on his ears.

"Vineet, did you reject the proposal from Zenith Ventures? May I ask, Why?"

"Because it didn't have the potential to match with our pace."

"But why, Vineet? I had researched a lot and then contacted them. And why do you feel they don't match with us? We won't grow until we associate with them."

"Ruhana, you should not be running behind people in business. Please, for god's sake! They won't do any good to us."

"Vineet, I don't know! You will call them and accept their deal. It will only help us. We are working together, but you're not making such decisions alone."

"Ruhana...Please try to understand."

"I don't want to understand anything. Please fix a meeting with Zenith Ventures. We are going ahead with it, and I don't need any more discussions."

Ruhana shouted at him and disconnected the call. Vineet sighed deeply. He didn't want to deal with the mentioned company. He had realised that they showed high hopes for their clients, but they did not yield enough profits. His friend was adamant about signing the deal. He was unable to change her mind.

As he contemplated the conversation he just had with her, a childhood habit struck his mind. In childhood, whenever he got curious, he used to read a lot. When he got the internet and computer, he used to surf a lot in order to understand the concepts he couldn't. A smile appeared on his face, and he opened his computer to search about the mentioned company. He typed the company name and began to read the articles that were visible on the page.

He opened a certain link, and as he read further, a certain name caught his eye, He was left surprised and thoughtful.

To Be Continued.

A/N : Word count: 1056

Total word count so far: 5433 words.