|#3|

Vineet feels helpless as Ruhana leaves the house without telling him the details of the meeting she's going to. Okay, they both have their businesses, and they collaborate on only some projects, yet Vineet discusses everything with her, while she has started keeping secrets from him. He feels that there's more to the story that she has told him. Things are complicated and so is her life.

Amidst all such thoughts about his childhood friend, he reaches the Hotel Hilton, where he meets with a business colleague. He is busy for the next two hours, and when he comes out with his friend, he has a smile on his face. This colleague is Abhay Mehra, who knows him very well. They've been working together for the past five years. He understands that something is bothering him, so he invites him for coffee. Vineet can't deny his offer and they head into the Hilton cafe, where Abhay orders two cappuccinos.

"Vineet, why are you looking so tense?"

"I am just burdened with work. I have to get to the office and then there's another meeting in an hour, Abhay." Vineet convinces him.

"Are you sure, Vineet? I know we're colleagues, but we are friends too, we've been working together for so many years, and I know, there is something that is bothering you. If you like, you can share with me." Abhay insists he is sure that Vineet is upset about something and it's not business.

"Abhay, Thank you for your concern, but it's nothing. I am just worried about things happening around me." Vineet says it with a smile.

"I hope you're not lying to me, are you?" Abhay peers at him and Vineet nods positively.

Vineet convinces Abhay that it's just work stress and he will be all right. Abhay is convinced and the two friends chit-chat over coffee and soon, part ways.

*****
Ruhana is in another meeting with her friend, Barkha. The former is presenting her pointers and emphasising the importance of every point that she's considering. The latter wants to stop her, she wants Ruhana to keep her points and let the clients decide if they're interested in working with them or not. But, she decides otherwise, remembering the argument they had.

They enter the hotel while discussing the pointers they're going to present. They are a business representative and everyone wants the deal to be in their favour. Here, Ruhana is emphasising that they must get the deal done by hook or crook. Barkha feels otherwise, she thinks that if they have worked hard, if the clients like their pointers and quotations, the deal will fall into their hands.

"Barkha, we need to define everything and make Mr Kaushik realise that we are giving them the right thing."

"Ruhana, there is no need to do that. We have worked hard to make this quotation, Let's just present it and let Mr. Kaushik decide." Barkha explains.

"I know we have worked hard, but we will need to emphasize it, otherwise, they might find some other deal better. We need to get this, Barkha. You know, I don't like to back off or be left." Ruhana says bluntly while looking at her friend.

"That'd be like coaxing them, Ruhana."

"Yeah, they can take it the way they like, but I want you to know that I need this deal, anyhow."

Ruhaana declares and Barkha sighs deeply. She knows there is no use in explaining it to her. She will do things her way. She won't understand anyway. Explaining or emphasising could lead them to lose the deal, which clients might not like.

"Now, don't lose the time track, Barkha. I know you're feeling that what I am doing is wrong. But, let it be. We cannot let anyone else take over the hard work we have done. I am stubborn, and I want this deal, that's it! I hope it's clear to you. I have lost everything, but I can't let my business, my hard work suffer." Ruhana declares for the last time and they head into the conference hall as directed by the hotel manager.

Barkha comes out of her trance and finds that Ruhana has explained everything and there's another person who is presenting his deal. She finds that Ruhana is smiling for no reason. She leans towards her.

"Ruhana, you finally did what you wanted. But please, let others explain. You know, you cannot get everything, every time." Barkha attempts to convince her friend.

"I know, and I also know who to get everything. Barkha, I cannot wait for the right time to do the right things. I just want to make it right at the moment. And I know, Mr Kaushik won't reject our deal." She smiles.

"Ruhana, why did you do this?" Barkha glares at her.

"I did nothing, but I have explained things so easily and the offer is so attractive that Mr Kaushik won't be able to push us away," Ruhana replies with a smirk.

Her smile is different than the usual one and Barkha knows that she has planned something to get this deal and now, it is done, she can't back off the action now. She sighs deeply.

"Ruhana, you're going the wrong way. I don't know when will you understand this? These ways will do no good to you, Ruu." Barkha says dejectedly.

Ruhana doesn't pay heed to her friend. All her concentration is on Mr Kaushik and she believes that she will certainly get the deal.

It's just a matter of two hours.

*****
Vineet reaches his office and settles in the cabin. He orders the peon to get a strong coffee for him. He is mentally tired. He should be happy right now that he has bagged the deal, but he's upset due to Ruhana.

They've been apart for twenty years, and now, she has completely changed herself. It's something that Vineet didn't like about her. He doesn't know what to do or how to make her realise her mistake.

Though he feels that she's not entirely wrong, her ethics are wrong. He believes that hard work gets you everything you desire, you do not need to snatch it from someone who is deserving. He's in a trance when the peon knocks on the door and he allows him in. He serves the coffee and leaves.

He's staring into nothingness until an idea strikes his mind. He can track her social media presence. He checks out her Facebook profile and he finds a certain account that's marking its presence on Ruhana's profile. He opens the profile, and it belongs to a young girl. The name is Aanya Bisht. He thinks for a few seconds and types a message to the girl. Within a few minutes, his phone beeps with a message alert and the response from the girl leaves him surprised.

A/N: Word Count : 1150 words

Total word count so far:  3340 words