Going to Stephanie's mom's house for Christmas dinner was really nice. I could tell that it meant a lot to Riley that we were both invited. Stephanie's mom, Angelia, welcomed Riley and I with open arms. She especially loved how Riley kept complimenting her cooking.

"You are welcome to come here anytime and eat my food," Aneglia said to her, "Keep the compliments coming, I love to hear it."

"She means that," Johnny said, "There are times when I stop by for food even without Steph."

Dinner was a very warm and inviting atmosphere. Even though I wasn't with my family, it still felt like I was with family.

On the car ride back from Christmas dinner, Riley said, "That was really nice. I know I've said it a million times, but that food was fucking amazing."

"It really was," I agreed, "It feels like home there."

"How are you feeling not being with your family today?" Riley glanced at me as she drove.

"It's upsetting," I said back to her, "I was hoping for a phone call today at least from my dad. It's so fucked that even though I despise how she reacted to me coming out, part of me still wants to hear from my mom and have her tell me that she was wrong and that she accepts me."

"It's not fucked," Riley said, "She's still your mom. I think it's pretty natural that you would feel this way."

"Who knows if our relationship will ever be repaired," I said to Riley, "At the moment, it's not looking like it."

Riley looked thoughtful for a moment, and she then said, "It sucks how family, the people who are supposed to support you the most in life, can do the exact opposite. Which is why I think it's a beautiful thing that we can also have a chosen family. I've found that mostly in friendships in the past, and now I have found that with you. Chosen family can support you more than your actual blood relatives."

I smiled softly at Riley, "No one supports me more than you."

It was a true statement. Ever since I started working with Riley, she had always supported me. Even at the beginning, when she helped me with my anxiety about the presentation I had to do only a few weeks into work, to when I told her about my past affair with my boss, and now with everything we had gone through together.

"And I always will," Riley smiled back at me.

Danielle texted all of us that she was going to be having a New Year's party at her house, in the basement, and we could all invite whomever we wanted. She said that her parents were throwing a swanky party on the main level of her house, and she was going to throw a New Year's bash for friends in her basement- which I suspected was bigger than my whole apartment.

Stephanie and Johnny decided to come with us to Danielle's party, and the four of us drove together to her house on New Year's Eve.

Stephanie was the designated driver for the night, and when she pulled up to Danielle's house, both her and Johnny's eyes widened.

"Judging by her beach house, I should've known her home would be huge," Stephanie said.

"This might be the biggest house I've ever seen," Johnny said, starry eyed.

I was right that Danielle's basement was bigger than my entire apartment. She had it decorated to the nines, with all good streamers, balloons, and New Year's decor. The basement bar was stocked with alcohol, and there was a long table set out with food.

There had to have been at least 30 people there already.

"A lot of my sister's friends are here," Danielle said to us, "Plus mine, and people that they brought with."