Fitz's POV

It was hard to believe she wasn't actually gone. She was here. Well not here here. But she wasn't dead. Thank goodness for that. Fitz made his was up the stairs to his bedroom. He wiped a few strands of tears with the back of his hand. He felt terrible, and so so guilty. People could say they didn't blame him all they wanted. That didn't mean he didn't blame himself. Which he did.

What do we even do from here? He thought. Fitz's telepathy might not have been as strong as Sophie's but maybe he could still try to reach her. He stretched his mind out as far as it could go, imagining a small hand reaching out through the space between them. He wondered how far that was. Probably on the other side of the world.

Fitz closed his eyes. Trying to force it as far as it could go. Maybe without even connecting he could transmit to her. Sophie? Sophie? Are you there? He grunted as he tried to give it one last big push. His eyes burst open as the connection failed. He breathed heavily.

He knew deep down that the chances of it working were slim to none. But it still hurt. Fitz's eyes filled with tears as he tried again, longer and harder this time. Forcing his conscious as far as it could go.

He failed. Again and again. After about an hour he finally gave up. He rested his head on his pillow and let himself cry. He cared about Sophie a lot. He didn't want to picture her, see her, or hear about her being in pain.

What if they had to fight her? They could never do that. Well, Fitz couldn't at least. He doubted that Dex, Biana, and Keefe could either. But Sophie wouldn't remember them anyway, or the real them at least. Assuming her memory was wiped and she wasn't laying in some cave dead somewhere, she would have false perceptions of them. They basically be entirely different people to her. They had to get her, and her memories back.

In the morning he made his way down the stairs into the living room. "Would you like some breakfast son?" Alden asked. Fitz's stomach turned. He shook his head. "No thanks, I'm not hungry." Alden nodded. The house felt like it had a heavy weight of sadness hanging on everybody's shoulders.

"I contacted the council. They should be here soon. I apologize Dex, they want to hear exactly what happened through you. I'm sorry you have to explain all over again. We can wait longer if you'd like." Alden informed Dex, placing a hand on his shoulder.

"No. We need to find Sophie. I don't know what I'd do if something terrible had happened to her." He responded in a quiet voice.

"Alright then. I'm hoping they'll send us out to search for her again. That would be the fastest way." Alden shared.

"If they do, can I come to? I'm used to being in the Forbidden cities from when I used to search for her. Also everywhere I go I could transmit to her to try to get to her." Fitz proposed. He and Sophie had always had a strong connection to her, even if Fitz couldn't directly transmit to her. But if she was that faded, maybe he could still get in.

Alden thought for a moment. Then for another. And another. He finally opened his mouth. "I don't want you going out there. It makes sense and I understand, but it is dangerous."

Fitz felt defeated. He felt useless if he could go out and find Sophie. He pleaded with his dad, "Please, Dad. I have to help find her." Alden looked at him with sad eyes.

Alden took a deep breath. If the council allows it, you can go." Fitz made his way over to his dad and hugged him. "Thank you." Alden hugged him back.

At some point. Keefe and Biana must've come downstairs. Keefe crossed his arms and leaned up against the wall. "If Fitzypoo is going, then I'm coming too. Oh, and Biana wants to come also."

Alden sighed. "Biana, yes you can come. But you must stay with your brother. And that's if, if, the council says yes. For you Keefe, you'd have to ask your parents. It's okay with me, but you need to see if they'd be okay with it."