The Human Instinct

Start from the beginning

If there was something like that, Scaramouche would use it without a second thought - it would be a merciful sacrifice for all the mercilessness.

How poetic.

Scaramouche resisted his deepening frown and ignored the aching of his chest. It was a little difficult to stare at the couple before him and not think about what could have been. It was envy and regret that fought for placement in Scaramouche's false heart, but the true emotion in his core was something more than jealousy.

"It's not your fault."

Both Nadia and Vlad were slightly starstruck and borderline horrified after hearing those words. So much so that Nadia's tears stopped and Vlad's expression softened. The atmosphere on the dark balcony which they were standing on seemed to have come to a silent standstill, even the wind stopped blowing as if to eavesdrop on the conversation.

The tense couple found it in themselves to relax their bodies and even raise their gaze to look at Scaramouche directly in the eyes. The Harbinger stared back with empowering sincerity.

For the first time, Scaramouche couldn't maintain the strained eye contact and ultimately tore away from the couple. He took about three steps away from them, sighting the staircase at the end of the bridge. He only wanted to get a move on before Childe performed any more foolish actions without any sort of confirmation or backup.

"Is this some sort of trick...?" Vlad prompted out of the blue, seemingly bracing himself and Nadia for something like a sneak attack or an ambush.

This made Scaramouche pause in his tracks and the gears in his clouded brain seemed to begin turning. A solemn sigh left his lips, even his mouth shaped itself into a satirical smile, "I've ruined everyone around me. Even the truth sounds like lies... no wonder why she left..."

Those words weren't meant to be spoken aloud, but it seemed like the couple behind him didn't hear anything. Scaramouche only turned his face to the side and caught himself before he stumbled - reached defeatedly for the bridge's metal fence. With the back of his hand, he tipped the edge of his hat upwards to stare down at the stone street below.

Although Scaramouche's back was towards the couple, he could tell that both Nadia and Vlad glanced at each other briefly before cautiously making their way toward him. It was abnormal to see the ultimately feared Harbinger sulking like an abandoned cat against the bridge's railing. The young woman inched her way closer.

"Sir..." Nadia started but was interrupted as Vlad tried to steer her back.

"Nadia, stay away from him," Vlad sighed when she refused his advances.

The woman pressed on, "Harbinger Scaramouche, you may be quite harsh sometimes... and people may be frightened by you... but we do not believe that Secretary [Y/N] left you because of that."

Scaramouche's attention peaked at the mention of your name, "And who told you that?"

"The staff here in the Northland Bank discussed this when the bounty was raised to ten million Mora. All of us thought of reasons why a Harbinger lost his trusted secretary-assistant and came up with conclusions that contradicted those theories... Was it a misunderstanding gone wrong? Misunderstandings always happen and get resolved quite quickly. Did Secretary [Y/N] intend on running away all this time? Impossible, she was always devoted to our military. Was the pressure of the mission too much? She's gone through so much worse."

"I don't care for the rumours created by the staff, what matters is that I'm the only one who knows the truth about my Secretary's disappearance..." Scaramouche's tone was an unequal balance between sounding neutral and weary. He saw the way Nadia's shoulders tensed. "But what else has been said...?"