The Human Instinct

True change is difficult. One could say, it's impossible.

It's hard not to fall back into unhealthy habits. Bad habits grew to be a part of Scaramouche's long life.

But one thing he couldn't seem to get along with was the feeling of loneliness.

During his life, he had always been accompanied by no one and nobody. Scaramouche sometimes dreamed about being a part of something other than the vast space that surrounded him, a place that was the opposite of the void he was so used to. A place with people - maybe even one person.

Once you've had the taste of something you've dreamt of, it's hard to ignore the aching feeling of wanting to have that experience again. Being valued by someone, a person who was equally amazing and worthy - to have that person love them, was something a puppet wasn't prepared for.

There's no turning back, but there certainly is yearning.

Vlad comforted Nadia in his arms as she cried into his jacket. The sweet weeping occasionally broke the silence of the pitch-black harbour, even the usually bustling night market was found to be nonexistent.

Word had gone around about Childe's outrageous plan to launch an attack on Liyue Harbour. It was something most of the Fatui soldiers couldn't even fathom. To think of such a devastating attack was going to happen - although most didn't believe it, the sight of frightened people packing their belongings made it feel like a real-life nightmare.

Scaramouche was never the type to interact with Fatui members outside his jurisdiction, pleasantly that is. He recalled how his secretary was always the one to speak for him, though he didn't like it when words were put in his mouth.

But for some reason, those words you spoke on his behalf were always meaningful.

Enigmatic even.

As he was exiting the Northland Bank, he caught the couple embracing each other - they failed to hide themselves behind the side of the building. A feeling of dreaded uncertainty swirled in Scaramouche's stomach and twisted the corners of his downwards. An uncomfortable chill made his skin prickle.

"H... Harbinger Scaramouche...!" Nadia exclaimed with genuine surprise when she saw him, torn between saluting and covering her fearful tears.

"Nadia..." Scaramouche muttered quietly and then the silence returned. The young woman's forced expression was a tad overdone, clearly showing that she was trying to make herself seem strong in front of the Harbinger.

Though, the glossy look in her eyes told a different story. Seeing how the usual stoic nightguard Nadia was trembling and shrinking into Vlad's body, made Scaramouche feel some sort of empathy - rather than sympathy. The difference between understanding and pity was a fine yet solid line.

Nadia continued to cry, "I'm sorry... Lord Scaramouche... I knew I shouldn't have impersonated Secretary [Y/N]... I was a fool to be her accomplice... I wish I could take back everything!"

Vlad didn't loosen his grip on the young woman, in fact, he embraced her even tighter. He didn't think twice when he used himself as a barrier as if to shield Nadia away from Scaramouche's impending wrath. When Nadia blinked her tears away, Vlad wiped the side of her face with utmost care - his sweet actions contrasted his rigid expression.

"Don't be cruel, sir... If you're going to lash out at any one of us, let it be me. Nadia... she's just... a girl trying to do her job." Vlad's voice was stern and unwavering as he gently cradled Nadia's head into the crook of his neck, all the while glaring quite coldly at the other man.

You were just a girl too...

Scaramouche despised the antagonizing look people would always give him. What hurt the most was that it was well in their right to look at him that way. He certainly couldn't change people's minds about him overnight, it wasn't like there was something he could do to erase everyone's memory of him and all the horrible things he had done.