The Calm Before The Storm

"Come this way...!"

There were a series of grunts and heavy sighs as both you and Chongyun turned a sharp corner and eventually were able to lose track of the Fatui soldiers who were chasing after you. It was quite funny to see how thrown off they were after you tossed Nadia's jacket at them and disappeared without a trace.

Being pressed up against the stone wall and having a finger to your lips, the two of you waited anxiously for the final agents to turn around and give up.

After a few tense seconds of silence, you peeked your head around the corner and let out the breath you were holding at the empty sight before you. Giving the all-clear hand signal, Chongyun threw his head back in relief, laughing uncomfortably to himself.

"Getting arrested by the Fatui and then breaking out of prison was not a part of my schedule, ugh." The exorcist couldn't help but cover his face with his hands and push back his bangs. "I just hope that no one else knows but us."

"Hey, at least you're alive and your auntie can finally get off my back." You replied with a mild sarcastic undertone, giving him the hint that you were forcing yourself to crack jokes. Seeing Chongyun's horrified expression at the mention of his aunt, you gave him a smug grin. "Yeah, that's right, I risked my life to save her poor little nephew and I bet that she'll only give me a death glare as thanks...!"

"Auntie Shenhe..." He blinked a few times. "She told you to rescue me...?"

You shrugged your shoulders dismissively, "She didn't ask nicely, that's for sure. More like gently persuaded with a few threats."

"And I thought you came back because you liked me, Fatui girl."

"You're funny. I only came back to stop you from being killed."

Chongyun smiled bitterly at your words, letting out a small scoff as he looked to the side, "You chose to rescue me as an excuse to see that Harbinger, didn't you?"

"What are you talking about?" Your voice wavered.

"I get it, Fatui girl." He raised his arms in the air dismissively. "I'm just a scapegoat in your stupid love affair, which I find totally pointless by the way. Harbinger Scaramouche... he didn't plan on killing me, at least not anymore - and he certainly does not want to kill you. I think he just wants you to go back to him..."

"I cannot believe what you're saying!" You shouted out of nowhere. "Do you even hear yourself? You're no different from those soldiers that were trying to capture me. You think I want to return to the Fatui-?!"

"From the way you kissed him, yes!" Chongyun let out a strained laugh. "I think you want to return to your precious Lord Scaramouche-!"

You suddenly grabbed Chongyun's shoulders and pulled him closer, "You're trying to convince me to go back-!"

"Archons, Fatui girl! You're overreacting...!"

"You two made a deal together, didn't you?! About the bounty money!" You pressed on. "Whatever my Lord Scaramouche is promising you is most likely a lie to get you to work for him-!"

"How dare you, I would never do something like that. I already deal with a lot of Fatui problems," Chongyun referred and poked you with an angry finger. "I don't want to add any more!"

"What did he do to you while you were his prisoner?"

"Nothing I couldn't handle."

You shook him again, "What did he tell you?"

"He told me to keep my hands to myself." The young man shot back.

"What did you tell him?"