The Adults Are Talking

Word had already reached Snezhnaya of the chaos that happened in Liyue.

All the way from up north, a chill swept through the nation of Geo which sent a chill down a certain Harbinger's spine. He can even hear the piercing tone of disappointment and disgust from his fellow colleagues.

"I heard your secretary had gone AWOL. You know what to do."

"Oh dear, losing such a loyal assistant... The pain must be unbearable... Right, Balladeer?"

"Even a mechanical man like the Balladeer can be brought to tears from a broken heart. How... interesting."

"I thought you had her under control."

"A deserter like her shouldn't even live to tell her tale."

"Shame. I saw potential in her..."

"Such an irresponsible waste of military funds."

"Attachments... lead to... abandonment."

Scaramouche resisted the urge to crumple the letter in his hand. Seeing that it was addressed to him caused his eyebrow to twitch out of annoyance - seeing that it was sent by no one other than the 2nd Fatui Harbinger, Scaramouche's enraged expression spoke louder than words.

"You stopped giving her those shocks, huh?" Dottore's voice could be heard as Scaramouche scanned through the paper. "How many times did I have to tell you, Balladeer? The moment you even hesitate to implement the electric touches, she'll return to her normal self. You knew."

"Damn you, Dottore."

"I gave you simple instructions. I told you the consequences. Not to mention, what would happen if she broke out of her Electro-induced trance."

"Damn you, Dottore..."

"And you tried so hard to control her-"

"Damn you, Dottore!"

"Little did you know, Balladeer, you've already lost her before she even left your side."

Never has Scaramouche felt sick after reading a letter.

For the first time, no messenger was harmed, no furniture was destroyed, and not one sound trembled through the air. Indescribable dread swamped his office, spreading throughout the Northland Bank to which the workers sensed the overwhelming sadness wisping in the wind.

The room was quiet. Scaramouche rested his head against the desk, shutting his eyes all while ignoring those burning tears. He shrunk in his seat, holding himself tightly to provide a little bit of comfort that no one could give to him.

He wanted nothing more than to fly far away from here.

•••

Realizing that hours had passed and not one soul had come to check on him, the Harbinger had grown used to this bitter feeling of loneliness and managed to lift his head off the desk. He learned to pull himself together.

However, it doesn't mean that he minds having a certain assistant always there for him.

He wanted that life with you. A life that sprouted from the roots of years of trust and companionship. Scaramouche needed that life. The hardest part of this was finding a way to forgive himself first. He was so quick to beg for forgiveness.

Slowly, Scaramouche touched his lips with the pads of his fingers and he thought about you one last time.

He wondered if there was going to be another chance the two of you would see each other again. To him, this fantasy started to sound like wishful thinking. Scaramouche imagined, for a second out of his busy life, what it would be like to drop everything and run away.