Chapter 6: Superior Leader

[Y/N POV]

I woke up in my room and started to get ready. A few days had passed and it was finally Friday.  With the help of Blake, who forced me every day, we went on a run in the mornings, and Yang brought me to the school gym in the afternoons after class. I was slowly gaining muscle and I was able to sprint for longer than a minute without being completely out of breath. Shade fought just behind the wall of subconsciousness I had pinned him behind after the cafeteria incident. Managing constant emotions pulling at my mind and hunger every day was getting easier as I grew more familiar with my powers, which I would work on in secret in my bathroom. I smiled at myself in the mirror, reflecting on my improvements in just a week of attending school, and straightened my uniform. The day had some promises, especially Professor Port's class. He had told us that he had something special planned today. I finished getting ready and looked at myself in the mirror. I had shoulder-length black hair, deep red eyes, and a soft face. I sighed and got ready for the day after just getting back from my morning run with Blake.

After my morning routine, I threw my uniform on, and walked into my room. Immediately, I felt someone looking at me, so I looked around my room. Still empty. I walked over to the window and noticed a Crow staring at me. I looked at it questioningly. "Maybe my semblance is being followed by crows.." I laughed to myself. I left the room and saw Ruby in the common area alone, her head down on the counter as she sat in the bar stool, her shoulders moving slightly. She was still in her pajamas, so she was either asleep or crying. As I approached I felt the pulses of sadness, pain, and anxiety.

"Ruby? You okay?" I asked.

"H-huh?" Ruby jumped, bolting up from the counter. Her eyes were red and puffy, cheeks stained with tears. "Uh-h Y-yeah.." Ruby stuttered, but forced a smile anyway.

"Well that's a lie." I said, sitting down next to her. "You wanna talk about it?"

"I uhm.." Ruby sniffled and wiped her eyes and cheeks with her wrists. "I'm just a little sad.. I'm okay now though!" Ruby put on a fake smile.

"You don't need to lie to me Ruby." I stated. "It's okay to cry. I know we've only known each other for a few days, but you can talk to me if you need to."

"I'm okay, Y/N... I should be." Ruby muttered the last part.

"Okay, but remember the offer is still out there." I said. Without thinking, I reached out and patted her on the shoulder. I stood up and made my way to the front door.

"Y/N.." Ruby started.

I turned around to look at Ruby. "Yes?"

"Did you know your parents?" She asked seemingly out of nowhere.

"I uhm.." I stopped for a moment, thinking. 'What an odd question.' I thought. "Yeah, I knew them both." I made my way back to the bar stool and sat back down in it.

"Okay.." Ruby muttered a bit more sadly.

"It wasn't sunshine and rainbows though." I said. The sentence just kind of burst from me as if it was trying to get out.

"W-what do you mean?" Ruby asked.

"I uhm..." I rubbed my arm awkwardly. I got myself into this, now I guess I would have to explain my way out. "I didn't like my parents. They weren't really the nicest."

"Did they... hurt you?" Ruby asked. I just nodded slightly. Ruby covered her mouth and leaned over to put me into a crushing hug. My breath escaped me as I felt Ruby's warmth envelope mine, the tears staining my school jacket. "I'm so sorry Y/N!" Ruby apologized. "I wouldn't have brought it up if I'd known I-"

"It's fine, Ruby." I said, hugging her with one arm. "I didn't really spend a lot of time with them. Not in recent years."

"That's good then." Ruby said, breaking her hug. She looked at me smiling. "I ask because... today's a little hard. Today's the day my mom left for the mission and didn't return. It's been 10 years.." Ruby held a tear stained picture of her mother holding her. I felt my throat get tight as I looked at it.