Chapter 20 - Goodnight, My Elizabeth

The Duke guided Elizabeth toward the man while his hand was still on her back as if it were an everyday action for the Duke. A warmth bled through his gloves and the layers of her dress, enveloping all her senses. She began to lose herself in a whirlwind of emotions, her mind growing hazy from the heat, until Lilith intervened, pulling Elizabeth away from him and wrapping her arms around her from behind.

"Lilith?" Elizabeth said, puzzled by her sudden action.

"It looked like you needed saving, and I needed to keep you safe from...him," Lilith murmured, her glare never leaving the man beside the Duke.

"Lilith," the man addressed her directly, sounding irritated. "Must you persist in portraying me as some sort of threat?"

"It's Lady Lilith or Captain to you!" Lilith spat sharply, like a sassy child.

"You two, honestly..." the Duke sighed, those words completely fatigued.

"Anyway...my Lord, I require your assistance in inspecting the magic circle," the man said, his tone softening as he turned to the Duke. "The energy output is still irregular, and we've been unable to pinpoint the source of the leak that could make the entire spell unstable. Though some are beginning to believe that... Why are you looking at me like that?"

"Extend a proper greeting, man!" the Duke whispered loudly, gesturing toward Elizabeth with his head. "You already make terrible first impressions as it is, especially with Lilith being...well, Lilith."

"I heard that!" Lilith yelled, releasing Elizabeth and standing beside her.

"Yeah, that's the point! Stop making him look bad all the time! And you!" The Duke's voice cut through the air with authority as he shifted his focus to the man, pointing a commanding finger squarely at him. "Extend a proper greeting when you meet someone for the first time. How many times do I have to explain basic etiquette?"

"Really? An etiquette lesson? Now?" the man scoffed, irritation evident in his voice. "Fine, I'll offer a proper greeting as you desire, my Lord."

The man approached Elizabeth, lowered himself onto a knee, and gently took her hand, pressing the back of it against his forehead. His gaze lifted to meet Elizabeth's, and for a fleeting moment, a flicker of interest danced in his eyes as he finally saw the color of her eyes. He could only think that his Lord's description was spot on—a forest you could get lost in if you're not careful.

"It is a delight to find you well, Lady Elizabeth," he spoke with reverence. "My Lord has spoken of you at length, and it is an honor to finally make your acquaintance. I offer my sincere apologies for my rudeness. I am my Lord's humble servant and one of his closest advisors—Sir Alistair Stonehaven Blakemore, Sin of Sloth. Thank you for being so patient with my Lord's impulsive desires. I know firsthand that he can be a handful."

Alistair went to kiss Elizabeth's hand, and Lilith moved to intervene before he could—but she didn't reach her as the Duke stepped in quicker, pulling Elizabeth away from Alistair. Lilith and Alistair exchanged a silent glance, momentarily setting aside their prior animosity as they observed the shocking display. A voiceless understanding passed between them: he's territorial now.

"That last bit...was unnecessary, Alistair," the Duke criticized, his tone hinting at disapproval.

"Apologies, my Lord, but you did insist on a proper greeting," Alistair retorted, a suppressed smirk evident at the corners of his lips as he rose to his feet. "Now, shall we proceed before you find yourself doing something...more?"