☆ 8

chan has never felt so pathetic.

for the boy, finally coming to terms with his (surprisingly romantic) feelings for soonyoung was something he could no longer deny. though, this didn't make being around the older boy any easier. no, this made things much, much worse.

any time there was a practice, chan made sure vernon (or a random unsuspecting junior) was around during their breaks. usually, they would ask soonyoung questions about the choreography or the upcoming competition, which would keep the oldest busy. they did their job well, i.e., keeping soonyoung away from chan.

though, chan did notice that soonyoung was approaching him less often as the days passed. the boy figured it was because of the buffer that chan had around him at all times. but even when chan was alone, soonyoung would talk to him sparingly. confusingly enough, this upset chan as well. he wanted to avoid soonyoung, but he also hated when the oldest didn't speak to him.

oh, young love. a blessing, and a curse.

so when the time came for the duo's pre-arranged (before chan realized his feelings) solo rehearsal, the young boy was bursting at the seams. from nervousness or excitement, chan wasn't able to differentiate. and that was mostly due to the idea of hanging out late at night with soonyoung, just the two of them.

of course, chan assumed that everything would be fine. he didn't fully account for the fact that he was going to be alone with soonyoung, so when chan was down the hallway and saw soonyoung unlocking the studio door, he began to freak out internally. and a little on the outside, but he was quiet, so it didn't count.

so there chan was, cowering behind the wall. like a coward.

chan has never felt so pathetic. he had half a mind to call soonyoung and tell him that he couldn't make it to their private practice, but he quickly decided against the idea. the competition was in less than a week, and though chan dreaded the idea of being alone with soonyoung, he knew he needed to get in as much time as possible to practice his solo.

chan quickly pulled his phone out of his pocket, his hands shaking as he texted the boy that he would be a little late to practice. chan frowned as he put his phone away and looked back at soonyoung.

just as soonyoung was pushing the door to the studio door open, he pulled his phone out of his pocket. the phone screen illuminated the older boy's facial expression, the soft pout on his lips and the creasing of his forehead. soonyoung put his phone away and sighed softly as he walked into the studio, turning the lights on as the door slammed shut behind him.

chan felt his stomach drop as he finally pushed himself off of the wall, slowly walking to the studio with his heart thumping wildly in his chest. was it possible to sweat this much? as chan swiped his clammy hands on his sweatpants, he only had one thing on his mind: don't make a fool of yourself.

chan stood in front of the door, leaning onto the cold metal frame as he took a few deep breaths. through the small window on the door, he watched as soonyoung turned on the song chan was using for his solo. the older boy walked to the side of the practice room and shrugged off most of the layers he was wearing, leaving him in a compression shirt and loose sweatpants.

chan watched soonyoung jump into the choreography during the chorus, gliding across the floor as he hit every move flawlessly. if it were up to chan, he would just stand there and watch soonyoung dance for the rest of the night. but chan knew that his desires shouldn't get in the way of his ambitions.

with a deep breath to calm his nerves, chan opened the door, the loud noise of the hinges creaking as it announced the younger boy's arrival. both boys noticeably froze when they caught each other's gaze, chan laughing awkwardly as he waved at soonyoung. the young boy quickly entered, putting his stuff away and moving towards soonyoung.