Chapter 10

All Isabelle and Emma did was hang out, engaging in their usual activities of talking and studying for the upcoming exam next week.

As the evening approached 7 PM, the dining table was adorned with an array of delicious dishes. The trio settled in, ready to indulge in the savory feast.

Isabelle's eyes sparkled with delight as she discovered a plate of fries accompanied by a tantalizing sauce. Though she couldn't quite place its flavor, she found it irresistible.

As they dug into their meal, Isabelle couldn't help but admire Yvonne's natural beauty. Even without makeup, Yvonne looked effortlessly elegant. Isabelle found herself fascinated by Yvonne's graceful movements as she ate with precision.

A strange feeling fluttered in Isabelle's stomach, one she couldn't quite explain. Brushing it off, Isabelle chalked it up to Yvonne's captivating presence in the moment.

Yvonne's gaze shifted to Isabelle, who felt a flutter of nervousness under her scrutiny. Quickly averting her eyes, Isabelle tried to shake off the sensation of being watched.

"After the exams, I can finally go home to my parents..I miss them," Emma remarked, breaking the moment.

"That's great, Emma," Isabelle replied with a smile.

"Yes, and thanks to my amazing aunt," Emma added, casting a grateful glance at Yvonne.

"Stop being cringe," Yvonne teased, prompting laughter from the two girls.

Yvonne didn't like being thanked for things she did, as she often struggled with how to respond. It was understandable, though.

After they finished eating, Emma loaded the plates into the dishwasher, and Isabelle joined her in clearing the table and tidying up.

The three parted ways, with Emma attending to her tasks and Isabelle retreating to her familiar room, which felt almost like her own despite not being her permanent residence.

Meanwhile, Yvonne retreated to her office to attend to her work, meticulously checking emails and attending to various tasks. Despite the mental and physical exhaustion that often accompanied her duties, Yvonne cherished her job; it held profound significance for her.

When draped in her white coat, Yvonne found solace and purpose, as it symbolized everything she held dear in her professional life.

She started typing and working, patiently waiting for almost 30 minutes, though she wasn't quite sure what she was anticipating. Then, a knock broke the silence, and she knew it could only be Isabelle; she was the only one with the audacity to disturb Yvonne in her office, a fact that secretly pleased her.

"Come in," Yvonne welcomed, swiveling in her chair to face the door.

As the door creaked open, Isabelle appeared, clad in pajamas, a clear sign of her inability to find rest.

"Can't sleep again?" Yvonne inquired, giving Isabelle her full attention.

Isabelle's nod confirmed Yvonne's suspicion, prompting her to wonder why Isabelle wasn't with Emma.

"Where's Emma?" Yvonne probed further.

"She said she's occupied for a while," Isabelle replied.

Understanding Emma's penchant for early bedtimes, Yvonne suggested, "Shall we retire to the living room? Emma's likely fast asleep by now."

Concerned about disturbing Yvonne's work, Isabelle hesitated, but Yvonne reassured her, "No worries, it's just emails. Let's go."

Isabelle smiled as she followed Yvonne into the cozy living room, basking in the warmth of the ambient lights. Yvonne ignited the fire, ensuring they wouldn't succumb to the winter chill.