Chapter: 12

"You've got your ball. You've got your chain tied to me tight. Tie me up again. Who's got their claws in you, my friend. Into your heart I'll beat again. Sweet like candy to my soul. Sweet you rock and sweet you roll. Lost for you...I'm so lost for you..."

The sweet singing was soft in my ear the next morning. It was Bella; and it was beautiful. I smiled without opening my eyes as I squeezed her body closer to mine in bed. I should have been the one singing to her while she woke up, but she was almost always awake before me. However, it was the first time she had ever done this, and it was refreshing.

"That's definitely my favorite Dave song even if it's everyone's favorite," I laughed still groggy with sleep.

"I know," she whispered.

Of course she did. I'm such an idiot.

She then promptly extricated herself from my grasp and got out of bed, still completely naked, and ran into the bathroom, closing the door behind her. In the next moment, I heard the shower start.

I groaned and swiped my hand roughly over my face before lifting myself out of bed and going downstairs. Once I had made it to the kitchen, I started making breakfast and reading the newspaper. My body was going through the motions of everyday life, but my heart wasn't in it at all; I had left it upstairs with its other (better) half.

I was almost done with the newspaper even though I couldn't really remember anything I had read when Jasper and Alice came in.

"Hey!" Their greeting was both high-pitched and cheerful. I only wished that they would hurriedly recognize my mood and alter theirs in recognition.

"Hi."

"How was the date last night," Alice asked while sitting in the stool next to me on the kitchen island.

"The date was perfect," I told them, because it truly was.

Wordlessly, Alice laid Bella's dress, shoes and purse from last night on the table in front of me on the counter. I looked at the pile of clothes then at Alice's all-knowing smile and raised eyebrows. Jasper chuckled beside me.

"We found these in the foyer."

"Oh. Um...yeah, thanks." I smiled and felt my ears burn in a blush under Alice's observant gaze. "I'm so glad it was you and not Blake."

"So, I guess the date went really well then?" Jasper asked, fixing a plate of eggs and bacon from the breakfast that I had made

I opened my mouth, about to ask him if I could talk to him later whenever Bella's voice echoed from the next room.

"Hey, Edward? I'm going to my apartment for a little while. I need to..." she stopped whenever she saw all of us sitting around in the kitchen. "Oh, hey guys."

"Hey!" Alice was smiling, and she seemed so cheery, practically bouncing in her seat looking from me to Bella, back and forth. I believed she was getting the wrong impression of what had happened between Bella and I last night.

Jasper sat on the other side of me, digging into his food while Bella walked closer to us. "Um...I was just going to go to my apartment for a little while to clean up and get everything ready for when Charlie comes today...um, are those my clothes?"

Alice giggled and nodded vigorously as Bella leaned over the counter and looked down at the pile of clothes with her nose scrunched like she was peering over a dead body. She made no attempt to touch them or get too close, afraid the dead body might jump out and scare her.

"Oh..." She then blushed a beautiful red which matched the color of the dress she refused to touch which still laid in front of us all.

Jasper chuckled but never said anything as he kept eating.