Chapter: 1

Prologue

Beep. Beep. Beep.

A soft groan escaped from my lips as I picked up my cell phone. "Cullen," I answered, annoyed as I always am every morning.

"Good morning, sir. This is your wake up call," my assistant's voice flooded over me and pricked at my nerves more than usual.

I ended the call without another word spoken. Without further hesitation, I laid one foot on the floor and then the other slowly. Standing up, I stumbled over to the wall and flipped the switch. Light poured into my studio apartment as the curtains drew away from each other. Then, faint music began playing as I started my day just like every day.

After a quick shower, I walked all around my perfectly organized closet while contemplating which suit to wear.

Hmm... Gucci... Armani... Valentino... Calvin Klein...

After deciding on a black Armani, I moved around to pick out the right color button down.

White... blue... green... purple...

Grabbing a blue button down, I picked up a gold silk tie. "Can't take no more her tears like diamonds on the floor, and her diamonds bring me down cuz I can't help her now," I sang softly to myself as I put on my clothes.

Beep. Beep. Beep.

"Cullen." My phone always rang twice every morning. First, my assistant to tell me to get up, and next was always the doorman in the lobby of my apartment building to say that my car had arrived to take me to the office.

"Good morning, Mr. Cullen. Your car has just arrived." I can never remember his name.

Like it matters.

"Thank you." Throwing my phone aside on the bed, I put on my Ralph Lauren loafers and walked into my home office to grab my briefcase.

"Good morning, sir," the attendant on the elevator greeted me with a wide smile, another name that had slipped my mind.

I scoffed out a 'hello' while checking my emails on my Blackberry as I stepped into the elevator. I hummed quietly to myself Rob Thomas' "Her Diamonds" that had cemented itself into my mind since I woke up. The elevator came to an abrupt halt as the rich widow who lived six floors below my apartment climbed inside. She was dressed in all of her most luxurious furs and diamonds with her surgically enhanced face decked out in full makeup. She gave me a wide smile as she stood as close to me as possible.

"Good morning, Mr. Cullen. You're looking very dashing today."

Dashing? Ugh.

"As are you, Ms. Gallagher." Hers was a name that I could remember, but only because she never let me forget her. I took a slight step to the left. The closer she got, the closer her perfume scorched my nostrils.

"I haven't seen you around the building much lately. Been working late nights?"

I didn't like a lot of questions no matter who asked them. To me, my business was my business. Even though her question was just a friendly one, I was immediately annoyed by her.

"Yes." My answer was trite, but I would never give out much detail of my life to anyone especially her.

"You're too young to be working so much, Mr. Cullen." I let out a sigh of relief whenever the elevator reached the lobby, and the doors pulled open.

"Have a nice day, Ms. Gallagher," I replied softly before I walked briskly through the elevator doors and over to the entrance of the building.

"Good morning, Mr. Cullen. It's a beautiful day," the doorman greeted me as he held the door open.