Chapter: 5

Oh no...

I reached over, not lifting my head off the pillow yet and felt around the bed after waking up. No Bella. I was alone. My head immediately rose as I looked around the room.

A sigh escaped my lips as I realized I was still in the room that I fell asleep in. I was still in Seattle.

I felt nothing but relief as I sat up in bed, rubbing my eyes. Still feeling tired after over six hours of jet-lag and being up so late taking its toll on my day yesterday, I reached over and grabbed my cell phone from the night stand, checking the time.

Sunday, July 10, 2009, 2:24 p.m.

I don't think I had ever slept so late in my life, but I still felt sleepy. I was about to lie back down until I heard faint music and singing. I listened closely and started to chuckle.

Carry on my wayward son

There'll be peace when you are done

Lay your weary head to rest

Don't you cry no more

The lyrics came from a stereo and Bella's voice as she belted it out from inside the bathroom. I got out of bed slowly and walked to the bathroom door. I leaned against it, pressing my hands and ear to it carefully not making a sound.

I smiled to myself and chuckled silently, listening to the slightly out-of-tune singing come from her voice.

Once I rose above the noise and confusion
Just to get a glimpse beyond this illusion
I was soaring ever higher
But I flew too high

She belted out the chorus again over the music and over the running water from the shower.

Though my eyes could see I still was a blind man
Though my mind could think I still was a mad man
I hear the voices when I'm dreaming
I can hear them say

Carry on my wayward son

There'll be peace when you are done

Lay your weary head to rest

Don't you cry no more

Feeling almost mesmerized by the lyrics and their meaning and also by the voice from which they came from, I had the sudden urge to want to see her as she sang. And as I stood there in only my boxers with my ear pressed against a bathroom door like a complete idiot, I felt nothing but butterflies rumbling in my stomach. They were butterflies of uncertainity and unfamiliarity and, most importantly, newness all of which I felt only because of her.

I heard her keep singing as I kept smiling.

Masquerading as a man with a reason
My charade is the event of the season
And if I claim to be a wise man, well
It surely means that I don't know

On a stormy sea of moving emotion
Tossed about I'm like a ship on the ocean
I set a course for winds of fortune
But I hear the voices say

Carry on my wayward son

There'll be peace when you are done

Lay your weary head to rest

Don't you cry no more

As just the music played, and there were no words, I heard the sound of feet against the shower and water sloshing. My smile grew. She was dancing.

I stepped away from the door, still smiling. I found a pair of flannel pajama pants in the dresser where my boxers were. I walked down the hall and found a bathroom. Even though Bella might have been comfortable with me walking in on her in the shower, I knew I wasn't comfortable with it. So I used the other bathroom and found a tube of toothpaste. I squeezed some on my finger, thinking that I would brush my teeth better later once Bella was finished.