Chapter: 4

2:30 a.m. Geez...

I glanced at my watch, shutting the door to my silver Range Rover. I guess it was mine. The keys were next to my cell phone on the nightstand so I was pretty sure it was mine. Then again, I'm not sure of anything anymore.

I stepped inside the house in Seattle trying to be as quiet as possible. I turned the corner of the living room, trying to remember how to get the kitchen. I soon found the way being guided by a light, the only light that was on in the whole house. I walked into the kitchen and found the one person that I knew could help me. The person whom I had asked for their help.

Jasper.

He was sitting at a barstool in the kitchen by himself with a cup of coffee clutched in his hands. He was waiting for me just as I had asked him. He watched me as I tossed my keys on the counter and let out a long sigh. I ruffled my hair and rubbed my face in my hands, moving closer to him.

He still didn't speak.

On the phone, I didn't give him any specifics. I knew he was patiently waiting on me to begin to explain my strange behavior. Inside I knew, however, that I could not tell him the truth.

The truth? HA!

I still don't know the truth. The truth was still a mystery. A mystery trying to be solved. The only truth that I knew was day before yesterday I woke up in my apartment in LA and went to work. After work, I met my family drinks. The next morning, I woke up in Seattle with Bella. That was the truth.

I walked over and sat next to Jasper on the stool beside him. He didn't move or look at me. He kept staring down at his cup of coffee, still waiting.

I rested my hands on the counter in front of us, staring intently at my fingers as I began to speak. "Jasper, I need to talk to you."

"I know, Edward. You told me that much already," Jasper replied. He seemed annoyed. I guess I couldn't blame him. I opened my mouth to reply but quickly shut it when he kept talking. "You just left! You didn't tell anybody where you were going or when you would be back. Nothing! And you were acting so funny. You had Bella worried-"

"Jazz, please stop!" I yelled frustrated.

He did as I asked, still never looking at me. He let out a long sigh and took a sip of his coffee.

"Jazz, I just need to ask you some questions. They're going to seem weird, but I need you to promise me something."

Finally, he turned his head and looked at me. His expression softened immediately. "What?"

"I need you to promise me that you will be honest with me." His blue eyes were poking holes through me. I felt so exposed.

"Okay."

"No questions asked?"

"Okay, Edward."

"Okay." I looked away from him. Where should I begin? I decided to start with the biggest questions. "Bella and I are dating right?"

Jasper looked forward again and shook his head, shutting his eyes tightly, "Edward..."

"Please, Jasper."

He sighed and nodded his head. "Yes."

"She's my girlfriend, right?"

He nodded again.

My next question, I was afraid to ask. The answer would determine a lot, answer a lot but still pose more and more questions. "How long have we been together?"

Jasper shifted in his seat and looked into my eyes. My eyes were desperate and hanging on his word, waiting for his answer with uncertainty and longing. "About four years."