Chapter one (2)

Prisca's morning routine had become a well-worn path – her father driving her to school in a comfortable silence. Today, however, the silence felt suffocating. At eighteen, she craved the independence her older siblings enjoyed.

"Dad," she blurted out, gathering her courage, "can I start taking the bus to school tomorrow?" Her voice held a mix of frustration and a newfound determination.

Her father glanced at her, a flicker of sadness crossing his features. "You're growing up fast, Prisca," he replied, his tone gentle. "But the city can be a rough place, especially for a freshman. Let's hold off for a bit, okay?"

A surge of anger bubbled up inside Prisca. "Dad, I'm not a child anymore! I can handle it." The car fell silent once more, the tension thick in the air. This time, however, the silence wasn't filled with the comfortable companionship of past mornings.

As they arrived at the school gates, her father broke the silence. "We're here, Prisca. You're going to be late. Get down safely."

Prisca exited the car, her frustration simmering beneath the surface. Her father, sensing her mood, chose to drive away without another word. Watching him leave, she felt a confusing mix of relief and resentment. Why couldn't she have the freedom her siblings enjoyed?

Shaking off the lingering tension, Prisca made her way to campus. The bustling crowds and vibrant energy offered a welcome distraction. A familiar voice called out, "Prisca!" Turning, she saw her friends, Tomi and Elizabeth, approaching. Their presence brought a smile to her face.

Tomi, ever the jokester, teased, "Missed me already, huh?" Prisca laughed, grateful for his light-heartedness.

Elizabeth, rummaging through her bag, produced a familiar blue leather satchel. "Here you go, forgetful one! I found this lying around in my brother's room last night."

Confusion clouded Prisca's face. "My diary? How did it end up there?"

Elizabeth shrugged. "Beats me. Maybe he borrowed a book and it got mixed up. Anyway, glad I could return it."

Prisca, still perplexed, thanked Elizabeth and hurried off to class, the mystery of the misplaced diary swirling in her mind.

During her first class, Prisca found herself seated next to a boy named Felix Gallardo. His constant chatter and unwanted attention made her feel uncomfortable. She politely moved to another seat, ignoring his protests.

After class, Felix approached her again. This time, his words sent shivers down her spine. "You may be avoiding me now, pretty," he smirked, "but that won't last forever. If you only knew what those dreams hold in store for you, you wouldn't be pushing me away."

Prisca's heart hammered in her chest. Dreams? How did he know? Before she could question him further, Felix vanished into the crowd, leaving her feeling bewildered and slightly frightened.

Later that day, Prisca bumped into her cousin Linda. "New at the university, huh?" Linda asked. "Just a word of advice – avoid getting on the wrong side of guys like Felix. Some rumors swirl around him, and trust me, you don't want to be part of them."

Prisca, determined to be independent, brushed off the warning. However, Linda's words, coupled with Felix's cryptic comment, added to the growing unease settling in her stomach.

Exhausted from her first day, Prisca fell into a restless sleep. Her dreams returned, transporting her to a strange building filled with endless mirrors. Panic surged through her as she searched for an escape.

Suddenly, a sliver of light pierced her heart, and a voice echoed through the mirrors, "Stay away from Felix! He is not who he seems. He embodies your worst nightmares. Beware!"

A woman emerged from one of the mirrors, her attire a stark contrast to the modern university setting. "Child," the woman spoke, her voice laced with an otherworldly power, "reveal a hidden sorrow to escape this maze. Only then can you be free."

Prisca, confused and defiant, ignored the woman's advice. Instead, she attempted to break free, only to find the mirrors growing taller, encasing her in a prison of glass.

As despair threatened to engulf her, a memory surfaced – a painful recollection she'd tried to bury. "Joshua," she whispered, the name tasting bitter on her tongue. "Why did they kill him?"

The image flickered, revealing a younger Prisca, tears streaming down her face, clutching the lifeless body of a boy with kind eyes. 

A wave of grief washed over her, so raw and real it felt like it happened yesterday.

The woman in the mirror seemed to soften. "There, child. You have faced your sorrow. Now, the truth shall be revealed."

The mirrors shimmered, reflecting not her own image but a scene from her past. She saw herself, younger and carefree, laughing with a boy named Joshua. They were inseparable, their bond pure and innocent.

Then, a cloaked figure emerged, their face hidden in shadow. A struggle ensued, a flash of steel, and then...darkness.  Joshua lay still, his life stolen by the unseen figure.

The image dissolved, and the woman stood before her once more. "He was your protector," the woman explained, her voice filled with sorrow. "He shielded you from a darkness that hunts you still. Felix is but a vessel, a pawn in a larger game. Heed my warning, child. The dreams are a message, a glimpse into a future you must avoid."

Before Prisca could ask more, the woman vanished, leaving Prisca alone in the mirrored prison.

A sense of dread settled over her. These weren't just dreams. They were warnings.

Suddenly, a crack appeared in the mirrored walls, growing larger until it shattered, revealing her room.

Relief flooded her as she stumbled out of the dream, the memory of Joshua and the woman's words echoing in her mind.

Sunlight streamed through her window, the sound of her mother's voice calling out, "Prisca, wake up! You're going to be late for school!"

Prisca sat up, her heart pounding. Everything felt strangely real, the dream blurring with reality. 

She looked around, searching for any remnants of the mirrored prison, but there was nothing.

Taking a deep breath, she rose from bed.  School, friends, and the mystery surrounding Felix and the woman in the mirror awaited. 

Prisca knew her second day at university was just the beginning of an extraordinary, and perhaps dangerous, journey.