XXXVI - Weapons Storage

"Really?" New Hampshire asks, muffled excitement in her tone.

"Yeah," Dixie says nonchalantly, waving his good hand, "why would I get rid of anythin'?"

The states rush out of the room. Some of them run upstairs or to nearby closets, others walk outside, the doors slamming shut. Loud, incongruous talking filters out of the room.

'They're taking the opportunity to leave,' Russia figures, scanning the now nearly empty room from his seat.

'To get away from this.'

"I hope they paired up," America comments, stepping toward the center of the room.

"They did," Russia replies, faintly hearing Dixie and Delaware talking about a bow. Connecticut stands nearby, wringing their hands.

"But what if they didn't?" America says, worry painting his expression.

"Why wouldn't they?"

"Because- I- they might not have!" America says, his hands quickly raising.

Russia furrows his brow, putting his hands at his sides.

'But we haven't had that problem recently.'

'Do you not trust them?' Russia wonders. 'Do I want to know?'

"We should check on them," America says as he turns toward the stairs, his tone short.

"Wait-" Russia calls, extending his hand.

America doesn't turn back, calling for some of the states as he walks into another room.

"Oh," Russia mumbles, retracting his hand and glancing at the ground.

'Bye.'

Russia rubs his arm, looking down. A dull buzz fills his head as movement crops up around him. He sinks slightly into the couch, biting the inside of his cheek.

'That hurt.'

"Hey, Russ?" Delaware asks with a wave of his hand.

"Yes?" Russia replies, looking up.

Delaware stands diagonal to him, his eyes tired. Russia tries to swallow back worry.

"Could you help me find something?"

"Yes," Russia replies, moving to stand.

He pauses for a moment.

"Are you going to be okay?" Russia asks, looking to Dixie.

"Yeah? Why wouldn't I be?" Dixie laughs lightly, an attempt at a disarming smile adorns his face.

Russia tries not to let the doubt in his chest show on his face, but by the way Dixie's smile wavers, he knows he isn't doing a good job.

"Don't worry Russ," Nebraska calls, "we'll keep an eye on him." She gestures to Montana standing beside her.

Russia nods, standing. He ignores the slight vertigo, taking a deep breath and bracing on the back of the couch.

"You okay?" Connecticut asks.

"Yes, I am fine," Russia says, waving off their concern.

Connecticut hums disbelievingly. Russia ignores them.

He stands, planting his feet. His vision doubles for a moment and he squints, forcing his eyes to focus.

'I hope I don't look too unsteady.'

He looks idly around for Ukraine, not immediately seeing him, or Canada, nearby, but the provinces duck in and out of the room.

'I wonder where he is.'