XVI - Iron and Rust

Russia holds his breath, watching Ukraine type in a phone number. He knows it isn't going to be fun, but he figures he shouldn't try to stop Ukraine.

"Hi Papa," Ukraine starts, his voice wavering.

Russia flinches at the tone.

'I'm sorry, Ukraine.'

Ukraine listens to the phone, his face blank. Russia feels a pang in his chest at Ukraine's shaky breathing.

"Yes, I am okay. They got me out. Roos got me..." Ukraine trails off.

"Papa?" Ukraine asks weakly.

Russia freezes at the last word. He slowly turns and sees Ukraine giving a lost, distant stare, looking at nothing.

"Papa, it is so bad here," Ukraine says weakly, his voice ringing in the air.

Russia looks away and his heart drops.

'He's going to be very mad.'

'Shit.'

"Did you know Roos got tortured? They stuck nails in his hands," Ukraine recites, his voice monotone, "his chest has a huge burn scar, and it looks like he got cut in half. He has more scars on his arms."

Ukraine quiets for a moment before continuing.

"There is more I can't see."

Ukraine stands in eerie silence before handing the phone to Russia.

'Uh oh...'

Russia brings the phone to his ear and his heart sinks to his toes. He can hear that someone is talking on the other end, but the words don't make sense. Some of the noises of the words are too quiet to hear.

'Uh oh.'

There is a short pause before his father snaps at him.

"I just asked you a question."

"Sorry," Russia says reflexively, " I couldn't hear you."

"____________________"

"What?" Russia asks tentatively.

"I can speak with Ukraine fine, but you can't hear me?!"

"I can't hear a lot of things anymore..."

"What are you talking about?" Soviet hisses loud enough to be understood.

Russia swallows the lump in his throat.

"I have hearing damage," Russia states, trying to hold his voice steady.

"What do you mean you have hearing damage?!"

Russia flinches away.

"I can't hear you sometimes?" Russia stammers.

"WHAT?!"

"I have magic," Russia volunteers, trying to avoid the screaming match about to begin.