Ch. 26- I'm Dreaming of an Island Christmas

Start from the beginning

Esi knew her granny. She knew her granny's mouth, and based upon how they were packed like sardines in the room, her grandmother had invited nearly the whole village.

She could just imagine how she spread the news—telling all her neighbors to come over because her whole family was coming down for Christmas.

There was also a slight air of tension as Esi's grandmother blatantly ignored her uncle, and ever so often, Brianna would nudge Esi and shake her head at the drama. Unfortunately, both sides of Esi's family could not gather this Christmas, so this was the first holiday in a while that she, Afi, and Bri wouldn't be together.

It was a little bittersweet as she missed her cousin, but at least her brother, Kofi was there. He was grinning across the room when her mother nudged her. Of course he would have seen it. She rolled her eyes at him.

After the prayer, everyone dispersed. Some joined the food line while others scattered to become even more inebriated if that was possible. Esi weaved through the throng with Bri at her side. The odd neighbor would stop to greet her— "Girl, is you get so big?"

It was as if they expected her to stay the same height and size forever. Not only that, she'd been to Trinidad at least twice within the last 5 years, so she didn't know why they were acting as if they hadn't seen her since she was small.

"Come on...Let's grab our food and go outside," Bri said. "I can't deal with all this parang." ???

With plates piled high and a drink in hand, they maneuvered their way around randomly placed chairs and into the backyard. I was littered with various small white tents—chairs and tables underneath them. There were protests when her grandmother had asked for them out of the garage.

No one thought that they were necessary, but her granny knew that she'd invited so many people, hence the need for them.

The yard was as well as it could have been for that time of the night. There were soft white lights strung around the mango and breadnut trees in the yard. Their soft glow was a contrast to the raucous noise coming from inside the house and on the streets.

The moon glowed brightly above in the deep violet night sky, and despite the chill in the air, Esi felt warm and at peace, surrounded by her family.

"Hold this a sec for me please," she asked her cousin and handed her drink to Bri. She slid her phone out of her pocket and took a short video and a few pictures including a silly one of her and Bri accompanied by their silly reindeer headbands that jingled whenever they walked.

She sent a few snaps to Afi, Alicia, Lo and posted one on her story. There was some measure of slyness behind the latter action. There was hope that a reaction would be provoked—she had been reduced to that.

Still, she wanted to send some to Porte, but she doubted that she would've gotten a reply. Esi shook the thought of him out of her mind, deciding not to let that put a damper on the mood.

Esi even sent the video to Luka who had been nice enough to wish her Merry Christmas while still reminding her of her promise to help him with the storyline for his graphic novel—as if she had expertise in that.

"I see some seats over there," said Bri, who was busy scanning the yard for a place for them to sit. She followed her and they both ignored the occasional pssst from some of the village men.

"No behaviour whatsoever," Bri sucked her teeth as she shook her head.

They settled into their chairs and happily dove into the meal. She loved the ham and turkey, but it was the curried goat that did it for her.