Chapter 20

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

CROSSED LINES

The morning light spilled through the French doors, bathing the room in a warm glow as Katsuki found himself entangled with Izuku, who still slept soundly against him. Izuku had been a mess last night, crying himself to sleep from sheer exhaustion, holding onto Katsuki as if he were an anchor in the raging storm of his pain. Katsuki had stayed awake, keeping watch over him until Izuku's breaths steadied, and he finally drifted off to sleep. But even now as he slept, Izuku seemed so damn fragile, like one wrong move could shatter him into a million pieces.

Katsuki's gaze wandered over the mess of green curls, his mind swirling with thoughts about this strange new dynamic between them. Last night had been a shitstorm of emotions, and now, in the quiet aftermath, Katsuki found himself confronting what he had discovered. His usual confidence wavered as he considered his feelings for Izuku. Loving someone wasn't something he had ever really prepared for. He wasn't sure if he could be the person Izuku needed. Hell, he wasn't built for tender love and affection. Katsuki wasn't the type to coddle or sugarcoat things. His way of showing care was often blunt, abrasive even.

But despite his doubts, Katsuki wanted to try. For Izuku, he was willing to step out of his comfort zone, to learn how to be gentle and supportive, if only for him. It wouldn't be easy—he'd probably fuck shit up more times than he could count—but he was determined to make it work. He wanted to be the one Izuku could lean on, the one who could help him heal and find his way back to himself. He'd made that first step, giving Izuku his Quirk Analysis notebook, for that very reason.

His ruby eyes softened a fraction as they took in Izuku's peaceful expression, the tension of the previous night melting away in sleep. He reached out, tracking the delicate curve of Izuku's cheek, noting the faint trails of tears that stained his skin. The dark bags under Izuku's eyes seemed to have gotten worse since the hospital.

Slowly, he ran a hand through Izuku's unruly curls, marveling at their softness against his rough, calloused palms. Maybe he could do this, be gentle and caring. He had never really allowed himself to be this close to Izuku before the hospital, never allowed himself to touch him with such tenderness. But now, as he watched Izuku sleep soundly in his arms, he couldn't deny the overwhelming sense of loss. Damn it, he missed the old Izuku—the vibrant, fearless Izuku who used to light up their world with laughter and excitement. The one who would charge into battle with that stupid grin, who'd challenge him without a second thought.

Katsuki cursed fate for ripping that Izuku away from him, leaving behind this... this pathetic excuse for his former self. And it pissed Katsuki off to no end.

These feelings felt like a double-edged blade because they left him wondering what it would have been like to have that Izuku here now, lying beside him, his eyes bright with joy instead of clouded with pain. A bitter smirk tugged at the corners of Katsuki's lips as he imagined the idiotic joy that would radiate from Izuku in this moment. He could almost hear that faded laughter that he no longer remembered, see that mischief glinting in his eyes as they sparkled with mirth.

He tried to push those thoughts aside, he needed to focus on helping the Izuku in front of him, the one who needed him now more than ever. But it was hard, fucking hard, when all he could see was the ghost of the person Izuku used to be. He shook his head, trying to dispel the memories, even if those thoughts clung to him like glue.

Katsuki's pulse fluttered when Izuku stirred beneath his touch, causing a sudden jolt of realization to shoot through him. Making him hyper-aware of just how damn close he was to Izuku, his hand still tangled in those soft green curls. He was getting too comfortable, too fast. With a reluctant sigh, he slowly pried himself away from Izuku's warmth, his hand lingering for just a moment longer before retreating to his own space. Izuku stirred again before waking. Shit.