Ginny's mouth flew open, ready to defend herself, but she couldn't. In the past, she would have denied that as fast as she could. But things were more clear now. There was no getting around it. She looked Charles in the eyes, noticing how tears were swelling in his. "How did you know?"

Charles smiled sadly, chewing on his bottom lip for a moment before speaking. "I saw the way he looked at you... I saw how you looked at him...

"Charles." Ginny frantically squeezed his hand, wanting to ease the pain any way she could.

He glanced at his feet. "Ginny..." He paused for a second, sucking in a harsh breath. "Je t'ai vue sortir de sa chambre ce martin-là."

Ginny stared at the side of his cheek, drawing lines between his freckles. She felt the tears coming. She felt that sinking feeling in the pit of her gut. She opened her mouth to speak and then closed it. She let out a pathetic whimper and wrapped her arm around his strong back. "Charles, I wanted to tell you, but with everything else and what he did-"

"I understand." He grabbed her free hand and brought his lips to her skin, pressing a kiss to each of her knuckles. "I didn't want to believe it back then. I didn't, not really. And you never mentioned anything. So for a long time I pretended I never even saw... I didn't want to lose you too."

Ginny shook her head. "You would never lose me, Charles."

He forced out a laugh, letting go of her hand. "But ma chèrie is Pierre's étoile. You always have been."

"I'm so sorry Charles." A tear slipped down her cheek. "Please, let me explain. Not about Pierre, but about you. I want you to know."

Charles pushed a strand of her hair behind her ear. His finger traced her ear as he smiled. "I'd like that."

Ginny squeezed his hand harder. She wanted to engulf him in a hug and protect him. She wished her feelings weren't complicated. She wished her past with Charles and Pierre weren't so twisted and conjoined.

In another life, she knew in her heart, she'd end up with the young man in front of her.

"You have to know, ma chèrie, I loved you for so long. You were my crush. You were my best friend. You are my best friend... even if time has passed."

"Don't tell my sister that." Charles chuckled, crying at the same time. "She'll get jealous."

Ginny swiped her finger under her eye. "You're right."

"I should have told you..." Charles pinched his temple. "I know I said silly things when we were kids, but I should have told you how I felt. All of it was real, Ginny. I should've never dated Victoria- I didn't even... I've always loved you. It was always you."

Ginny rubbed circles on his back. "I loved you too, Charles. But I don't think we were mean't to be. Not like that, ma chèrie. Though, for a long time, I really hoped we would."

Charles nodded sadly, turning to her with his lips twisted. "C'est la cela l'amour, tout donner, tout sacrifier sans espoir de retour."

{That is love, to give away everything, to sacrifice everything, without waiting for anything in return}

Ginny rested her cheek on his shoulder, and he pressed his chin on top of her head. "I missed you."

"I missed you too." He kissed her temple. "I thought you didn't come back because of your parents... but I get it. I can see how Pierre gave you everything... and then hurt you more than words can describe."