Mother reaches towards me and brushes my cheek with her hand. Tears are gathered in her eyes. It's like a reunion of tears. 

We weren't supposed to cry at the asylum. Or at the Center. It showed weakness. Weak children were removed. Killed. We had to watch. 

The guards lines all of us up, and called the weakling out. The child had to kneel, and they were then shot in the head. 

No one cried. 

If a child cried, they were taken out and shoot, too. 

Shoot

Dead

Blood

Falling 

falling 

falling 

Down 

down 

down

Mother doesn't mention the guards or the punishments after that. She tells me about the vibrant beaches and the many shops in Spain. 

I follow her closely as we make our way downstairs and out the door to the long black car that twinkles in the bright sunlight. 

Inside the car holds my brothers and Father. 

"Are you excited, Lila?" Alexandre asks me. 

"Yes. Mother told me all about it. She says there's dolphins. Have you seen dolphins before, Alexandre?" 

He smiles, amused. "I have. I even swam with them." 

My eyes widen. "Really?" 

He nods. "Yes," He glances at Father, "Why don't we plan on swimming with some dolphins?" 

Father chuckles. "Sure. Why not?" 

I squeal excitedly. A wide smile plasters itself onto my lips. I can't seem to stop smiling. Dolphins! They're so majestic. 

I think I want to be a dolphin. 

I'm sure they can't be crazy. All dolphins have to do is swim around in the sea and play with their friends. 

Wouldn't that be fun? 

We arrive at the airport in a few minutes. It's massive and filled with people. But our car is directed away from the crowds and to a secluded section. 

My family's airplane is just like Mr. Aigner's. 

I slow my walking pace as I think of him. Should I ask my family why he was just in France? If he'll be at this ball? 

Will they wonder how I know him? 

They already know I'm a monster. I killed an innocent woman for no reason. I ruined the dinner that was going perfectly. 

They act like it's not a big deal. 

But I know. 

I know they know I'm insane. 

So since they already think I'm insane, asking this 

"Is Mr. Aigner going to be there?" 

Won't change a thing. 

But I suppose it did. 

Now everyone is staring at me with raised eyebrows and confused expressions. I sit on a white leather seat, but I'm surrounded by sudden darkness. 

I definitely shouldn't have asked that. 

I'm stupid. 

"How do you know Mr. Aigner, Lila?" Father breaks the silence.