Sibling Bond

FEBUARY 16, 2024, 12:43 AM

Easton laid wide awake, staring at the clock at his desk while holding the same binder of photo and letters from when he was around 10 years old.

He was cleaning out his room, although he guessed he had cleaned too much.

He had forgotten that he had hid this under his bed for a reason, not wanting to see it ever again.

Easton opened it.

He had forgotten what he had put in there.

Photos? Letters? Drawings?

The first thing he sees.

His handwriting from 2017 was stupidly messy, almost unable to read it.

Keyword, almost.

The date read '4/16/17'.

Huh. April.

Easton's eyes traveled down the paper, realizing what this was.

'My hero' is what it said in the marjin (I think thats what its called?).

Easton smiled, the memory of writing this letter flooding back to him.

FLASHBACK..

"I don't know what to write.." Easton admitted to his teacher.

"Awh.. How about mom or dad?" The teacher says, getting to Easton's level.

"But everyone else is doing that!" Easton complained, the teacher seeing that he had only written the date, his name, and the title.

"Well.." The teacher glanced at Devon, "How about your brother?"

"My brother..?" Easton says confusingly, "What about him?"

"You can write about him, I heard that he also decided to choose you." The teacher whispered.

Easton smiled, "Thank you!"

END OF FLASHBACK..

Easton chuckled, reading the letter that had no grammar whatsoever.

"Damn.." Easton laughed.

Easton remembers those times.

When everything wasn't about who was more talented, when everything wasn't a battle for their parents' Love.

Now, they barely even talk anymore.

Easton remembers when they would play piano together, laughing because Easton didn't know how to play while Devon went to lessons every Saturday.

Easton turned the page, seeing a page with just photos of him and Devon.

'HAPPY 11TH BIRTHDAY!'

Devon's handwriting was hilariously terrible, but Easton couldn't help but smile.

Again, turning the page.

Just pictures of him and Devon together.

Damn.

"That's it." Easton muttered before getting up.

Easton knocked softly on Devon's door, "Devon..? You up?"

"Yeah?" Devon's voice called out, "What do you want?"

"Uh.. I know it's really early.. But.. Do you.. Do you wanna go out and get some McDonald's or something?" Easton asked as Devon went silent.

"You know what? Sure."

"Really?" Easton questioned, a smile forming on his lips.

"Yeah. I'll be ready in a couple of minutes."

Easton grinned, getting ready himself, soon meeting Devon downstairs.

"You ready?" Easton asked, grabbing his mother's car keys.

"Yeah." Devon sighed, getting up from the couch.

The 2 go into the garage, both putting their shoes on as the get inside the car.

Easton gets in the driver's seat while Devon gets into the passenger's seat, staying silent as Easton drives out of the garage.

"So.." Easton says, trying to start a conversation.

"Hm?" Devon looks up from his phone.

God, this is so much harder than Easton expected-

"Uh.. Just.. Just tell me shit-" Easton says out of nervousness, "I don't know much about you and your my little brother! Cmon! Spill!"

Devon chuckles, "I'm your twin."

"Irish twins! And I'm older by a couple of months- so go ahead, tell me!" Easton says with a smile.

Devon doesn't understand why Easton was being nice all of a sudden, but God, did it feel good for a family member to at least pretend to like him.

"Uhm.." Devon thinks for a second, "The shows had been going good- Robin actually knows how to do their solo."

"Woah- Robin has a solo?" Easton questioned.

"Yeah, there are only about 11 people after all, so they decided to choose the youngest, and that was Robin since no freshmen want to sign up." Devon answered with a laugh, "But it's just a simple flag throw with a couple of dance moves."

"Wait- isn't it free to watch now?" Easton asked, knowing that it's been going around.

"Yeah! It should be at Lyre, if I remember correctly. It's because it's finally finals, so they want as many people there as possible." Devon returned, "I kinda feel bad because Robin said her parents weren't able to watch it."

"So.. When is it? I wanna watch!" Easton declared with a grin.

Devon chuckled, "It's at 2:00 PM on saturday."

"As in.. This coming saturday?" Easton asked as he finally pulled into the drive-through.

"Yeah!" Devon says excitedly.

"Wait- isn't that when Marching Orders perform?"

"No- that's when guard finishes."

"Oh!" Easton responds, "What do you want? Food's on me."

"Oh-" Devon chuckled, "Well, in that case, I would like a big Mac, a 10 piece chicken nuggets, fries, and an oreo Mcflurry."

"Damn, you fatass!" Easton laughed.

"Shut the fuck up!" Devon returned, laughing along.

"Hey- can I get 2 big macs, 2 10 pieces of chicken nuggets, 2 large fries, and an oreo and  strawberry Mcflurry?" Easton asked.

"Alright, pull through." The worker responded as Easton complied.

Soon enough, Easton grabs the food and parks into some abandoned toys R Us parking lot.

"So.." Easton pulls out a box of cigarettes along with a lighter, "You smoke?"

"God no." Devon laughs as he takes what his food is.

"You're no fun."  Easton sighed as he popped one into his mouth, lighting it as he blew out the smoke.

"You're gonna get lung cancer one of these days." Devon says as he coughed out the smoke, opening the window as he waves it out.

"Yolo." Easton laughed as he does it again.

Devon coughs, leaving the car in order to breathe in clean air.

"Pussy." Easton giggled as he eats a chicken nuggets.

"Because I have clean lungs?!" Devon managed to ake out through his coughing.

"You're 17! It's literally known as one of the golden years! Own it!" Easton grinned, "Cmon. One cigarette."

Devon laughs, "Hell no."

"Cmon. One cigarette can't give you lung cancer, pussy."

Devon rolled his eyes before taking the cigarette, replicating what Easton did.

Besides he coughed out the smoke and stomped on the cigarette.

"Not your thing?" Easton laughed.

"No."