"I don't think confronting him is the right way to do this." He sighed, pushing himself further up the bed. "We have to leave soon, anyway."

"I know, I know. What if we simply look into him? Is there a way we can do this?"

He scrutinised me, his eyes darting over my face. "Why has this suddenly caught your attention?"

"I don't enjoy having unanswered questions." I sighed.

"Are you sure you want to dive into this? Are you sure you want to tear up your past?" He wondered. "What if it's something unfathomable and completely alters your ideology?"

"At least I would know who I am," I deadpanned. "If someone held your past in their hands, wouldn't you want to pry them open and see what was inside?"

"My past is not something I like to revisit." He mumbled. "But unlocking things that could change who I am is risky territory."

I sighed, dropping my eyes to my lap. "I just need to know. What if my dad really didn't die? We did not find his body. It's easily plausible. This beta wolf could have all the answers."

"If he was a human, he wouldn't live long in no-man's-land."

"If he was a creature, he would've lived somewhere else." I widened my eyes. "If he is a wolf..."

"Okay, so say he survived. He left you, and your sister, with that horrid person you call your mother." His jaw flexed. "What kind of father does that? I could never cause harm to my kids, never."

"I know, I know." My hand was resting on his chest. "I just want to know more about Flynn. If nothing comes from it, I won't press for more."

Eyes searched mine, and I kept my face neutral, stern. I couldn't show him how much I wanted to know. I had to prove that my emotions were not winning.

"Fine, I will get Everett to look into it."

"Everett?" I wondered.

"He is a skilled investigator." He mused. "It will surprise you at how easily he can get information out of people."

"He is?" My eyes widened. "I didn't expect him to be the nosey type."

Asra chuckled, running his fingers through strands of my hair. "Not nosey, just smart."

I hummed and leaned out of his warmth. "I'm going to find Piper to say goodbye. After I bossed that meeting, I couldn't find her."

He laughed, shaking his head. "Okay. I will be by the car in twenty minutes."

Grinning, I gave him two thumbs up as I fled from the room. It took a moment before I was screeching to a stop and running back to where he was. He was still sat on the bed, staring at the doorway with an amused expression.

"Any idea where she is, wolfy?" I wondered. "Can you sniff her out, boy?"

Eyes darkened into narrow slits, and I grinned when he grumbled at me.

"Care to repeat that, little human?"

I squealed when he jolted to a standing position. "Where's Piper?"

"That is not what you asked, was it?" He cocked his head.

Oh, the predator was out.

"I think it was." I bashfully nodded, taking a step away from the door.

The beast practically purred, running toward me. He wrapped around me and pulled me back into the room before I could barely let out a scream. Laughter tumbled from my lips as he forced me to stare at the ground, then his ass. With barely a moment to adjust myself, I was upright once more and staring flustered at my mate's face.