XIII. Rose-covered Arbor

"Do you believe what Count Dooku said about Sidious controlling the Senate? It doesn’t feel right.” Obi-Wan voices concern beside me as I stand in the council chamber.

I kept quiet, peering down at my shoes as I really didn’t want to be here, but I didn’t want to be rude in declining Obi-Wan’s offer to join him at the meeting. I could tell he was just trying to help keep my mind off of what had happened yesterday, and as much as I appreciated it, I just wanted to be left alone to grieve for both of them.

“Becoming unreliable, Dooku has. Joined the dark side. Lies, deceit, creating mistrust are his ways now.”

“Nevertheless, we should keep a closer eye on the Senate.” Windu nods, adding in his opinion. 

“I agree.”

“Where is your apprentice?” Windu asks before he turned his attention to me, “Are you aware of your brother’s whereabouts, Miss Skywalker?” His voice is softer.

I finally glance up, taking in the eyes all staring back at me—obviously, all with sympathy. I feel my back straighten just a bit as I know the answer, though I shake my head no.

“No, Master Windu,” I mutter before bowing slightly. 

I see him nod slightly as he offers a half-smile in return. I let my eyes dance over to Yoda, who nods, and I take that as a sign before turning and leaving. Even if I wasn’t entirely dismissed, I didn’t care, hearing Obi-Wan let out a small sigh at my retreating figure.

“Rea…”

I don’t bother to slow down or respond as I pull my hood back up my head as I exit the hall, and I hear Obi-Wan start to explain where Anakin is.

“On his way to Naboo. He is escorting Senator Amidala home-”

^_^_^_^

“Are you sure you wanna go through with this?” I whisper. “You know, you still have time to run..” I tease half-heartedly, fixing the tiny baby pink flower into the hairpin.

“Yes, I’m sure, Andi.” Padme giggles, shoving me away gently.

“I’m just saying… you know, marrying my brother is a risky move, and not because the Council forbids it, but because it's, well, Anakin.” I chuckle. I offer her a small smile.

I watch as Padme turns away from her vanity mirror, adding the finishing touches to her beautiful makeup with an amused expression. The smile disappeared once I was out of her sight.

“I know it's Anakin, but I do love him and want to marry him.” She sighs dreamily as she gets up from the bench.

She slips on her shoes before turning to me and holding her hands beside her. “So…”

“You look amazing, Mae.” I smile softly, feeling my eyes tear up from all the emotions.

“Thank you… you look amazing, too, Andi.” She smiles widely before pulling me into a warm hug. 

“Your mom and Qui-Gon would be so proud of the woman you are today. Don’t ever forget that.” She whispers into my ear before pulling away.

“Thank you.” I smile softly, quickly catching the stray tear to prevent it from ruining the makeup she did for me.

“I can’t wait for the day when you and Obi-Wan are going through this.” She teases, shooting me a wink as she turns away to prevent my playful assault on her arm.

“Oh, hush.” I wave her off. “I don’t even know if we can…” I sigh, sitting down on her bed. 

“Even if he does love me, he’s very loyal to the order.” I shrug with a frown. “I don’t know if he would risk his position if I wanted to get married.”