*Bonus Chapter* Chapter 50.

Start from the beginning

I laugh, flicking his forehead. "You did that on purpose. Such a tease."

He slips his hand between my legs, making me shudder, tracing the seam of my jeans with his warm fingers. "I'm sorry. I'll make it up to you, my love." An evil grin flashes over his lips. "Until you're begging me to stop."

I raise my eyebrows and smirk. "Yeah? I like the sound of that."

He pops the door open with a laugh of his own. "Bad, bad girl, Layla Harrington."

I climb off of him and land on the driveway, smiling, excited to see everyone together again.

Grayson grabs our bags from the back and we walk up to the house together, hand in hand. I can already feel the laughter coming from inside the house. I've missed this a lot too. Family. What it feels like when we're all together.

Inside it smells like freshly baked cinnamon cookies. Grandma.

As we step through the foyer, Hale sees us first.

"Oh, Grayson!" He breaks out into a wide smile, rushing over to hug his nephew. They hug for what feels like minutes, then Hale finally pulls away. "Did you somehow get bigger? What are they feeding you over there at college?"

Grayson laughs as Hale ruffles his hair. Then Hale moves to me and hugs me. "Layla," he sweeps me up, twirling me around. Mom hears us and practically runs over.

One by one we reunite with everyone. Grayson is catching up with the guys in the family room. I'm sitting with Iris and Maya as Maya tells us about a guy she's been seeing.

But Iris looks out of it. I've noticed something has been up with her since halfway through the first semester. Baker has texted me a few times too, wondering what's been going on with her.

Maya finally finishes up her long story.

"Did you go over to Baker's for dinner?" I ask, directing my attention to Iris.

She clears her throat as if just now becoming present in the conversation. "No, I ate with Brett over at Jace's place."

"Oh, I didn't realize Jace was back. That's really nice of you guys, considering he would have been alone."

Jace has been across the country for the entire last year almost, working on expanding his business.

He's been Brett's best friend for as long as I can remember and has joined us for a few summers in Redwood. It's nice to know that things are going well for him now. He's been through a lot himself.

Iris nods. At the same time Kade approaches us at the dining table.

"How's your dad?" Iris asks, looking up at him.

Kade sighs, resting a hand on my shoulder. I reach up and comfort him by placing my hand over his. "He's okay. Chemo seems to be working. Don't know for how long, though."

I close my eyes and sigh.

"Can we talk?" He asks Iris, motioning over to the kitchen with his head.

"Yeah," Iris nods, pulling out of the table, leaving me alone with Maya. I know they've grown closer these last few months but something about them seems different.

I ignore it for now. It's not my job to worry about it. When Iris is ready, she can open up to me. She knows I'm always there for her.

After hanging out with the family it's finally time for us all to head to bed so that we can be up early tomorrow for Christmas morning. Grandma and Mom want me to help with breakfast.