Marriage and Mayhem

Start from the beginning

" What nonsense! My father's alive and well!" She growled in fury, " He even sent me a letter on my birthday! Those rotten opportunists are spreading lies!"

" He sent you a letter?" Abhimanyu repeated in bewilderment.

She nodded, remembering the letter Badi Maharani-sa had given wordlessly on her birthday. Rivannah had opened it later at night, crying instantly to see her father's handwriting. He gave his blessings at her birthday, emphasising how much he missed her. He warned her that it will take some time for him to come back, to be his brave daughter until then. He even used his favourite phrase to address her(princess of my heart and state.)

"Why isn't Badi Maharani-sa letting them meet Dad?" Rivannah demanded.

" Because this is a trap." Abhimanyu said smoothly, "Someone in the Rathore family is also mixed with the Rajawats. They're using the throne as an excuse to lure Kaku-sa out from his safe place. The timing confounds me though. We just started negotiating secretly with the Madhopur villagers. Somehow they got to know about our plan and created this commotion to side track us. I'm trying to figure out who is the mole at our side."

" What did you say?" Rivannah breathed out with great difficulty. Pain bloomed in her lungs, making it difficult to breathe. Bile crawled up her throat as waves nausea went through her.

" They're trying to stop us from shutting down Madhopur-" Abhimanyu halted and winced in realisation. 

He had deliberately kept the CCTV man's identity from Rivannah. She had access to Vikram in the college. She would definitely investigate her father's attack and get into trouble. But in his anxiety and confusion, he let it slip.

" T-that m-man b-belongs-s to t-he R-Rajawats?" She croaked, her entire body trembling. White light flashed in her vision, as blood pounded angrily in her veins. Her nails bit into the tender skin of her wrist painfully, drawing bright red blood.

What had she done?

Abhimanyu turned to glance at her, slamming the brakes in panic. She was clutching her throat as if someone was choking and smothering her.He grabbed her shoulder and repeatedly asked what's wrong. She had become numb to sensations, the pain frazzling her nerves.

" Rivannah! Breathe, dammit!" he said desperately, rubbing her cold hands. He had never seen her have a panic attack before. Her eyes were welled with tears and her breathes were raggedly, interrupted with mournful sobs.

He embraced her small form in a warm hug, running his fingers through her damp hair. Her bitter cries were wrecking his soul. Her shaking hands grabbed his black Kurta like a frightened child.

" Inhale with me." he guided her softly, taking a deep breath, " Come on, Rivannah."

" How could I do this!" she shrieked, scratching her wrists,"How can I be so stupid! It was all in front of me!"

" Don't blame yourself." Abhimanyu coaxed, "I can't lose you, Rivannah.It's not your fault that we couldn't find the enemy sooner."

Rivannah broke into a fit of heart wrenching cries. For temporary freedom and respite, she was seduced by the enemy.She liked Vikram just because he shared her thoughts on some matters. She willingly kissed  the man who wanted her father dead. Shame burned her soul, making her loathe her heart and its stupidity.

" I'm so dumb. You warned me to stay away from him.But I didn't listen." she mumbled like a maniac into his chest,"I have tainted my father's honour. He's-he's going to be so ashamed of me."

"Stop punishing yourself over nothing." Abhimanyu cajoled, "I don't give a fuck even if you snogged Vikram.Just come back to me, Rivannah. Please, I beg you. I can't bear to see you this way."