Goa Diaries Part I

"No." Rivannah shook her head.

" What do you mean by 'no'? I'm not asking you. You're going to Goa with me." Abhimanyu replied indignantly. 

Rivannah snapped her book shut and glared at him, " I have my fist mid terms right after the holidays. I want to study in peace."

Abhimanyu scoffed and glared at her right back. 

"And why should I go to Goa with you?" Rivannah added, ignoring his reaction " You're mannerless and self-absorbed. You never bother to knock my door. You just barge inside without a care for my privacy. Just like you did now."

" Try calling me names again." Abhimanyu clenched his jaw. He paused for a moment and yielded," Fine. I'll knock next time."

" I still have to study. Besides you're just tagging me along, because Ambika Aunty and Aditi are going to their village for Diwali." Rivannah swallowed the faint lump in her throat," I don't wish to be a burden. I can stay alone in the house. Or I could go back to Jai Mahal. No one would know."

He was hoping he didn't have tell her about BlueFreddie. But at this point he could use any thing as an excuse to  take her along with him. 

" Rivannah." Abhimanyu said in a low voice," There is something in Goa that will greatly interest you. Hint, it starts with a B."  

Rivannah raised a perfect eyebrow, " Beaches, babes and beer? Seriously, Abhimanyu?"

He sighed loudly before sitting next to her. Rivannah frowned at the sudden intrusion of her space and scooted away. He was too close for her liking. 

" BlueFreddie." He whispered slowly, " He's in Goa. If you still don't come, you can't blame for keeping things away from you."

Rivannah's eyes were affixed at his face, as if searching for a trace of lie. Under the dying light of the sun, the trees outside her window, casting dark shadows on his high cheekbones and forehead. But it was his twinkling, grey eyes that reassured her to believe him. 

" Fine. I can take my books along." Rivannah conceded. 

" You're impossible." 

                                                                                                    *

Man Singh cleared his throat twice. Somehow, he had gotten himself into the last seat he wanted to sit in the entire plane. He stretched his toes in the ample space of first class chair, and regretted his seating choice.

" You're not getting nervous about flying again, are you?" Abhimanyu enquired, from his right.

" No, of course not, Hukum-sa." Man Singh said quickly, " It's just three hour flight."  

Thank God! He added in his mind.

" You could try listening to music." Rivannah suggested, from his left. 

" That would very helpful." Man Singh agreed, accepting the headphones she gave him.

 He had to leave his home ( and his extremely cross wife) in Diwali holidays, lie about his whereabouts  (which  would make his wife angrier), and  he just had to sit between them. They could start bickering any moment. The music started playing softly,  his eyelids becoming heavy with sleep.

" Is there any chance I can speak to my father?" Rivannah said suddenly. 

Abhimanyu rolled up the newspaper he was reading. He peered at her from across the sleeping Man Singh, his posture tense and stiff.