An Apathetic Alliance

The sitting room was Badi Maharani sa's favourite part of the Palace. The walls, ceiling and floor had been intricately designed and inlayed with precious stones and mirrors, made by skilled artists from the Mughal court, commissioned by her powerful ancestors.

 The walls, ceiling and floor had been intricately designed and inlayed with precious stones and mirrors, made by skilled artists from the Mughal court, commissioned by her powerful ancestors

Her eyes were locked at Maharaja Gajendra Singh Rathore's portrait in front of her. It was times like these when she missed him so dearly, for he was the only source of comfort in their pretentious and dangerous world. 

Her husband had died early in an accident and since then, Badi Maharani s's heart had hardened like a stone. But ever so often, she would spend her time talking to him. Nobody was allowed to intrude her in those private moments.

" You're going to stop rebelling." Badi Maharani sa said, as she heard the door creak open , " Even if it hurts your dignity, Rivannah, a warrior must know when to drop his sword. It would be in your best interests that you follow my orders."

" Why should I? You're not even letting me meet my father!" Rivannah vehemently argued, as she entered the room.

" I'm doing this to protect him, you silly girl!" Badi Maharani sa stood up from the green divan, " And I want what's best for you!"

" You're lying." Rivannah said coldly, " You don't care what I want. Hell, you don't care about anyone in this family but yourself. Maybe that's why we're so broken and useless!"

Badi Maharani sa clutched her heart as if the words pierced it. They brought an old memory , that she'd buried deep inside her and never revisited again. He said the same words the day he died. She couldn't breath properly and curled her fists.

" Not a word , Rivannah." She ordered angrily, " I've been reasonable enough to let your disrespect slide. You will not speak to me in that tone. I'm the queen of this estate and the elder of your clan."

Rivannah knew she had crossed a limit and she pursed her lips obstinately. Although she hated Badi Maharani sa, she knew that insulting a clan elder was a taboo and her father would be rather disappointed with her.

" We need to stop fighting among ourselves. You are in no position to refuse my orders. If you wish to support Raghavendra, then you will do as I say." Badi Maharani sa continued, calmly ," And once he's better , I will not keep you away."

" Do you promise?" Rivannah looked up hopefully. 

That's all she wanted. To be with her father again.

" Yes, you have my solemn vow." Badi Maharani sa nodded. She was only half-lying. Even if Raghavendra recovers, things won't go back to normal unless the enemy is defeated.

" Have a seat. We must discuss the details of your stay." Badi Maharani sa said softly. She finally had Rivannah where she wanted her. Now the young girl would willingly follow her orders and would not cause trouble.