2- Super Fun Interior-Decorator

Começar do início

"Sure. It's been a while," I answer cautiously. "How's life? How's Rocco?"

If possible, the atmosphere drops another ten degrees at the mention of her husband. No idea what that's about, but her frown deepens, and she spits, "Fine. We're fine. Rocco's... fine." Her eyes scan me over. "How about you? You look..." She waves her hand but doesn't finish the thought.

Rude. She is being rude. I know I don't look the best right now, the lack of shower and all, but I've never known her to be so brutal.

"Yeah, well, I just got over the flu." A look of horror crosses over Leighton's face at my lie, and I realize she thinks I might be contagious or something.

"I'm kidding. My landlord just shut off my water. Do I really look that bad?" I say, as I look down and inspect my outfit. It's not too terrible. Just jeans, black boots, and a loose sweatshirt.

She scoffs and rolls her eyes. "This. This is why I asked you here. I can't trust a single thing you say. You have a decent job, right? I assume you pay your bills, so why would your landlord shut off your water? Christ, how do I even know you work where you claim to work? Everything you say is a lie. You smile and joke, but...oh God, you don't think my baby is cute, do you?" Her eyes widen and she dramatically places a palm on her chest.

At least she's no longer acting like a robot.

"What? Of course, he's cute, look at him," I say lightly, turning my head toward her son. He grins at me and slaps his hands to the table.

"But...I never know, Kya. Not with you. Your words are meaningless."

It feels like someone just sucker-punched me in the gut. It's not like I don't try to change, I do. I really, really do. But wasn't she cool with it? Cool with who I am? We're friends, we have fun. I was a bridesmaid at her wedding for goodness sake. It didn't seem to matter then. Did it?

At that moment, a server greets our table. Leighton orders a sandwich and some chicken for Gordon. Numbly, I just ask for a Coke. I don't want to be stuck here any longer than I have to.

When the waiter leaves, I suck in a deep breath. "Did I do something? Where is this coming from?"

She eyes me wearily. "No. It's nothing you've done." Just who I am. Got it. "I just think we've outgrown our friendship."

"I...I don't understand. Haven't I been a good friend to you? When you need me, I'm there. Who helped you finish your nursery when Gordon came early? I did. Who took care of you when you were passed out drunk at Cliff's stupid party? Me. I know I can be ridiculous, I know, but..." I can't really finish the thought, so I leave it hanging there.

"Sure, Kya, you can be a good friend." Her voice is a little more gentle. "You did help finish Gordon's nursery, but you also told me you had done interior-decorating work before. There were so many things we had to fi...you know? It doesn't matter."

Okay, yeah, I maybe fibbed a little about that. But Leighton was so stressed about not having everything done, and I thought, how hard could it be? They were appreciative of my hard work, or so I thought...

She continues, "The thing is, I'm in a completely different life stage than you. I'm a wife and a mother now. You've always been fun to hang out with, you make people laugh. Everyone has a funny Kya story, but..."

Suddenly, I'm not picturing everyone laughing because I'm funny, but everyone just laughing at me, Kya the Lie-Ya. And apparently, I'm just the shallow, fun friend that you grow out of. That's nice. Hurt washes over me.

I look down and realize my Coke is there. I take a sip at it. Is the waiter a ninja? A tear falls and lands on my hand. My eyes are blurry, and I realize she never told me the "but."