3 ☽ a leaf in the wind pt. 2

Out of every issue in the world, Korra's current arch nemesis is a set of revolving gates. No matter how many attempts she makes, the spinning panels hit her every time. She manages to dash inside the circle of gates, only to be swiftly struck by a rotating panel, her grunts echoing through the air. On the side with Tenzin and his children, Kiara watches with a globe of water levitating in front of her, ready to treat her sister's injuries.

"Patience, Korra!" Tenzin instructs.

It's no use. The gates knock her around, throwing her against the others. Forced to her knees, Korra succumbs to her frustration, winding upright. She bursts into a fit of firebending fury, burning and breaking all the panels in her way. Within moments, the contraption is almost completely destroyed.

Korra stands in the ruins, fists clenched, chest heaving angrily. Tenzin's mouth is agape, so are his children's.

"That," Tenzin takes a deep breath, "was a two-thousand-year-old historical treasure!"

"We can try putting it in ice?" Kiara suggests meekly.

"WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?" the airbending master fumes. Kiara flinches, dropping her liquid ball, which splashes onto the ground.

"There's nothing wrong with me!" Korra shouts back. "I've been practicing just like you taught me! But it isn't syncing in, okay? It hasn't clicked like you said it would!"

"Korra, this isn't something you can force!" Tenzin tries to reason. "If you would only listen to me—" Wrong choice of words.

"I HAVE BEEN!" Korra argues. "But you know what I think? Maybe the problem isn't me! Maybe the reason I haven't learned airbending is because you're a terrible teacher!"

With that, she storms off furiously.

"Yweah, yer a terrible tweacher, Daddy!" Meelo echoes. He mimics Korra's bad example and starts kicking around burnt planks, growling and screaming and running in circles.

Jinora and Ikki, sensing their father's distress, rush to offer Tenzin comforting hugs, providing him with encouragement.

"She didn't mean that," Kiara says apologetically to the air bending master. "Korra was so excited when you agreed to train her. She respects you a lot as her mentor. She's just not learning as fast as she hoped and it came out the wrong way. I'll go talk to her."

"Thank you, Kiara." Tenzin sighs as she leaves, the anger on his face dissolving into dejection. "Honestly, I am at my wit's end with that girl..."

Kiara finds Korra in her room, which is surprisingly unharmed. Her back is to the door when Kiara comes in, but even without seeing her face, Kiara can tell she has already started to cool down. There doesn't seem to be any injuries on her either. No bruises or scrapes or anything. Korra did a lot more damage to those doors than they did to her.

Korra hears Kiara enter and grumbles, "I'll apologize to Tenzin later," without turning around.

Kiara takes a seat on her sister's bed. "You don't have to," she says gingerly. "Everyone here knows how you've been trying your absolute best."

Korra whips around at her. "IT'S NOT GOOD—" She stops herself when she sees Kiara wince. Her fists are wounded tightly at her sides. The last person Korra wants to raise her voice at is Kiara. Korra closes her eyes briefly, exhaling deeply.

When she finishes her breath and opens her eyes again, Korra looks defeated and shameful. She slumps down next to Kiara.

"It's not good enough, Kiara," she says helplessly. "My best isn't good enough."