1 ☽ welcome to republic city

Note: The image of Kiara above is AI-generated

⋆。˚ ☁︎ ˚。⋆。˚☽˚。⋆

Book One: Air

⋆。˚ ☁︎ ˚。⋆。˚☽˚。⋆

Over the course of the next thirteen years, Korra trains diligently to take over the role of the Avatar, her sister at her side every step of the way. She masters waterbending, earthbending, and firebending, leaving air to be the final element needed to unlock the Avatar state.

The issue with that is that there's only one airbending master in the world now that Avatar Aang has passed on, and for whatever reason more important than the Avatar's training, he's...busy.

Now sixteen and seventeen, the two sisters are presented with a fateful choice: stay in the South Pole and wait for Master Tenzin to be finished with whatever highly significant matters occupy him in Republic City for an undetermined amount of time (could be weeks, months, or years). Or they could simply join him in Republic City and have Korra receive her airbending tutelage there.

Long story short, the second option is much more appealing to the teenagers who have been holed up in the South Pole all their lives.

So it's only natural that upon their first hour in Republic City, the two sisters have already grilled illegal fish with a vagabond, argued with an anti-bending protestor, picked a fight with gangsters (well, Korra did all the fighting. Kiara stood nearby eating the last illegal fish skewer), smashed up at least four shops (again, all Korra. Kiara was still eating fish. It was a big fish.), and finally,—last but not least—gotten themselves arrested by the Republic City police department, an elite force of metalbenders commanded by Chief Lin Beifong, who is now currently reprimanding them at headquarters.

There might be more stuff in between but Kiara doesn't remember all the minor details. Thinking too much makes her brain hurt. Especially in a big, busy city where everything is confusing and people are mean. On the bright side, at least her stomach isn't growling anymore!

"Let's see," Chief Beifong lists off in the steel cold interrogation room, "multiple counts of destruction of private and city property—not to mention—evading arrest. Young ladies, you two are in a whole mess of trouble!"

"But there were some thugs threatening a harmless shopkeeper and we were just—"

"Can it!" Chief Beifong snaps at Korra. "You should've called the police and stayed out of the way."