EMPYREAN.

INTRODUCTION TO

݁☃︎⋆꙳•❅*ִ ​​ empyrean

(   a legend of korra story   )

A ball of warm light radiated through the snowy hills. The top members of The White Lotus had arrived at the gates of the Southern Water Tribe, ready to dispel yet another inaccurate claim of someone having discovered the newly reincarnated Avatar. The Tribal Chief, Tonraq, was waiting for them at the door of his humble abode, lantern in hand.

"The White Lotus has honored my family by coming." He bowed his head in gratitude. "Thank you."

Tonraq gently creaked open the door to reveal his wife, Senna, who was cleaning up. The inside of their home appeared as though a hurricane had blown through it; Senna was brooming up shattered pieces of a clay pot, a table had been flipped over, and the ceremonial animal headdresses, spears, and animal skins that were usually displayed on the walls had been thrown to the floor.

As soon as Senna kindly welcomed The White Lotus into their home, a loose shield slipped off the side of the wall, crashing to the ground with a clunk.

"We've investigated many claims," the leader of The White Lotus said, unfazed by the mess as he removed his hood, "both here and in the Northern tribe. All have turned out to be false."

Tonraq crossed the room to wrap his arm around his wife's shoulder, reassuring her. Senna leaned into her husband's shoulder. They were both ready to deliver the world-altering news.

"Then you should be happy to know your search has come to an end," Senna announced.

"And what makes you so sure your daughter is the one?"

The leader cast them a suspicious, yet unsurprised glance. They had already encountered plenty of overzealous parents in their travels, each convinced their child was special and more remarkable than the rest. The White Lotus had to follow procedure to get this over with, no matter how redundant.

Senna beamed. "Korra, Kiara!" she called for her two daughters. "Please come in here!"

There was a resounding crash. The White Lotus members barely had time to blink as a large chunk of rock flew across the room inches from their noses. There, in the gaping hole of the wall stood two small girls with big, mighty poses.

Kiara, younger sister of Korra by only a year, was first to march through the opening.

"DOO-DOO-DOO-DOO!" the three-year-old created official-sounding trumpet noises with her mouth. She charged around in circles, windmilling her short arms, as if to carve out a clear path in an invisible crowd. She yelled in a shrill voice, "MAKE WAY! MAKE WAY FOR THE AVATAR!"

Behind her, bathed in an ethereal light, Korra shook her fist in the air.

"I'M THE AVATAR!" four-year-old Korra declared. "YOU GOTTA DEAL WITH IT!"

"YEAH, DEAL WITH IT!" Kiara yelled with just as much vigor. Then she bonked her head clean into the wall with a loud thump. Her parents, who were used to this behavior, kept smiling at the utterly discombobulated White Lotus members.

Meanwhile, Korra's baby beer belly bounced as she jumped into the room, punching fire out of her fists, stomping up clumps of earth, and splashing the White Lotus members with water from a puddle.

They watched in paralyzed shock as the spunky girl ran around the home, wreaking havoc everywhere with three elements.

Her sister Kiara shook off her dizziness and jumped to her feet. She tailed after Korra, screaming, "AVATAR! AVATAR! THE AVATAR IS HERE!"

The world's disarray was finally ceasing. The immediate successor of Aang had been found. And she was a four-year-old hothead with far too much pugnacity and an even more stubborn sister glued to her side. May the previous Avatar spirits watch over them all...

A/N: I do not own the AtLA or tLoK universes, only my girl Kiara and her shenanigans. Cover art by Bryan Konietzko, co-creator of Avatar: The Last Airbender and The Legend of Korra. All images of Kiara are AI-generated.