𝐕𝐈

ᶻᵒᵉ ⁻ ᵒᵘʳ ᵒʷⁿ ᵗʳᵒʲᵃⁿ ʷᵃʳ

˚    ✦   .  .   ˚ .     . ✦     ˚     . ★⋆.

ZOË HAD PROMISED CHIRON she had done her absolute best not to kill those Ares kids, even though she had knocked out a girl with the lethal combination of an arrow and a basketball.

If it were up to her, and in her own power to do so, this stupid camp would've been hoarded with jackalopes (she wondered if Chiron would still have his upperbody attached to the jackalope body).

Zoë's thoughts were messily scattered, and she was desperately trying to put them back in place.

Menodora hadn't changed one bit. Maybe she was a bit taller; Zoë wouldn't be able to tell. After two thousand years of being separated, the only physical thing Zoë could remember Menodora by was her face, and even that had started to fade.

Zoë had almost forgotten how Menodora had a tooth that poked out of place whenever she laughed. And how intense the color of her eyes were. And that it was down the left eye that the Horus eye symbol was engraved.

What was impossible to forget about someone you loved, even after two thousand years apart, was how they made you feel.

Seeing Menodora again had evoked memories and feelings that had been collecting dust in the back of Zoë's heart.

Zoë, who remembered everything, had fought the urge to run up to Menodora and hug her as tight as she could, in the hope of never losing her again. On the contrary, Menodora had just stared at her as if she was a stranger, as if Zoë was unimportant to her.

As absurd as it sounded, Zoë had heard her heart shatter right then, the shards making small cuts in her soul on their way down.

So, you can't imagine how happy Zoë was to see Menodora sitting on the entry stairs of the Big House. She looked up as Zoë walked onto the porch, flashing her timeless smile. Her odd tooth out didn't show; Menodora's smile was feigned.

"Hello," she greeted, dusting off the snow from her clothes. "What were you doing in there?"

"The Hunters and I had a fight with some campers," Zoë admitted. "Some got ill injured."

"I wish I could have seen that. I wonder what you look like in full action," Menodora wondered out loud.

"'T wasn't very much impressive, may I say," Zoë said. "Where were thou, anyway?"

"Me?" Zoë nodded. "Percy was showing me the cabins."

Zoë didn't appreciate hearing that. She didn't like Percy, not one little bit. Mainly because he was a male. But also because he reminded her of the boys in Menodora's past. Zoë did not want that for her friend. Not again.