Chapter Ten

Darkness cloaked the sky like a thick, suffocating blanket, covering it in an almost sinister shroud.
The coldness of the weather could be felt with the piercing chill it brought to everything. The people on the bleachers were packed tightly. Every time they cheered for their team or just talked you could see their breathe in the cold air.

Winter fiddled with her cold hands nervously, her eyes glued to Elena's lacrosse game with not a hint of focus anywhere else.

Riley was sitting beside her on the bleachers, talking away carefreely as though he hadn't just witnessed a horrifying incident.
He appeared to be completely unruffled, even happy, as he chatted with a smile plastered on his face, as though nothing had happened.

Yes, it was undeniable that Winter was left with trauma after her encounter with wolves, so much so that she could hardly breathe when near other canines.
The experience had left her mentally and physically scarred, yet despite her past experiences, she still advocated for all living creatures and believed that every life was worth saving.
Except mosquito's. Fuck mosquitoes.

"AWOOHHH go Elena!" Riley cheered on his friend. He nudged Winter to get her to cheer for her friend, too.
The college boy scrunched his eyebrows together in confusion when the girl flinched away from his touch.
Though, Riley immediately got distracted as the crowd started to get wild.
He looked around, trying to see what he missed on the field.

"You good?" Winona asked next to Winter on the other side, her mouth full with the hotdog she stuffed herself with; some crumbs falling off and onto her and Winter in the progress.

"I'm fine," Winter grumbled. She held herself back to scream out she wasn't fine at all.
That her friends weren't who they were saying who they were.
That they were capable of doing things, things she would never have guessed them doing.
Winter's whole body was shaking rather vigorously, her lips pressed tightly together with her hands shaking and gripping her knees so tightly her knuckles were turning white.

Winona wiped away the crumbs off of her and Winter, gasping suddenly when she touched the girl's leg.

The events with that poor wolf, hanging there; not even one chance of getting to defend itself, crossed Winter's thoughts again.
The scenes of Elena killing the animal, its guts spilling out on the ground. How the wolf's sad eyes begged her.. It was all too much for Winter.

In a split second, the girl stood up from her spot, She was quick and moved swiftly, dashing away before anyone could ask any questions.

Before she knew it, Winter found herself standing by the parking lot, leaning against the back of a car for support.
She could feel her stomach turning and churning, and then proceeded to throw up all of her breakfast and dinner, heaving and retching until what seemed like nothing but vile-tasting bile was all that was left in her mouth.

"Hey, you okay?" The black haired college boy walked up to Winter, patting Winter's back soothingly as she was still heaving on the ground.

Any other day Winter would have swooned over the fact the Devin was talking to her. But, she had too much on her mind.
She could barely talk.

"Did you had too much to drink?" Devin asked with a knowing chuckle, holding the college girl's red messy hair back while she was heaving.

Winter looked up at the college boy with tear stained eyes. "I'm sober as the day," the girl responded with a monotone voice as she wiped her mouth with the back of her sleeve.

Devin made a face at that. "You want me to drive you home?" He asked in a worried tone, grabbing his car keys after he let go of Winter's hair.

"Shouldn't you be at the game?" Winter asked instead, embarrassment seeping in as she realized she had puked in front of the popular kid.  If she had any chances with him, she had just blew them.