Chapter Five

Harvey's car smelled faintly of hot dogs. It wasn't as nice as Jake's 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata, but it would do. As I thought of the differing cars, I realized Jake hadn't occupied my thoughts the entire day. As far as I knew, he was still in the hospital, possibly getting his wang reattached. I still wanted to get revenge on him, but at the moment it didn't really matter to me. All that mattered was the beautiful stud who was sitting right next to me.

Harvey definitely wasn't a great driver. His headlights were out, and apparently he hadn't bothered to replace them. The only lights we had were streetlights and the headlights of other cars. Harvey liked to drive over the speed limit, zipping through red lights as long as there was no thru traffic, and flipping off anyone he felt like. Despite this, there was a certain dignity to the way he drove. It was admirable.
After running our fifth stoplight, I became aware of flashing lights behind us.

"Um, Harvey," I said "I think a cop is trying to pull us over."

Harvey took one look at the cop on our tail and jammed his foot on the gas pedal, spinning the car in almost a complete circle and nearly flipping it in the process. I screamed as we zipped down a side street away from the cop.

"Holy crap, Harvey!" I said "Shouldn't you have just let him pull you over?"

"Nah," Harvey said, zipping down another side street to further evade the cop "I don't have a driver's license. Plus, this car is stolen."

He took another sharp turn, jolting me in my seat.

"We're here!" he said, and I looked up just in time to see us smashing into the sign labeled "Green Hills Park".

The smashed, fragmented wooden sign laid in a heap on the side of the road. Harvey drove into a large patch of bushes and trees that sat near the entrance of the park. Once fully engulfed inside them, you couldn't even see our car from the outside. I opened the car door and stepped out into a tangle of branches. I could hear Harvey pushing his way through the foliage on the other side of the car. We slowly made our way out of the patch of green, brushing the twigs off our clothes. It took us a few moments to realize there were two cops standing three feet away from us. Harvey looked at them and smiled innocently. He had such a cute smile.

"You kids know anything about a stolen car being driven recklessly in this vicinity?" one of the cops asked.

"Nope!" said Harvey confidently.

The cops looked at each other.

"Good enough for me!" one of them said.

They turned to walk back to their car.

"You want some donuts?" I heard one ask the other.

"Hell yeah!" said the other cop.

Harvey and I walked into the park. It was a few acres in size and contained a sports field and several playgrounds. One side of the park bordered the river that ran through town. We wandered to the sidewalk that ran alongside the river and walked in silence as the stars glistened overhead. Neither one of us felt the need to talk. Everything was so peaceful and serene. Crickets chirped, bulrushes blew in the light breeze. We walked underneath a bridge that served as an overpass for the road above the river.

There was a shuffle in the darkness under the overpass. Harvey and I halted for a moment, squinting our eyes to look into the black. I saw a faint outline of three people in robes. They were dragging large bags. The three figures stepped forward, now illuminated by the nearby streetlight. All three figures were wearing red robes, very similar to those Mortimer wore. Strange masks that resembled owls covered their faces. The middle one lifted her mask. It was Mrs. Hubbardson from my family's cult. Oh my god...that's why their robes were so similar to Mortimer's.