Dazai's Entrance Exam 1

"And over here is the-"

Before Doppo could continue any further with showing the agency's newest hire around, the front door quickly swung open, nearly hitting the decorative plant that was set up behind it, revealing his teary-eyed young sister. The sight alone was enough to make him panic, Emi hadn't looked that upset for years, but what she said next was enough to make his worries evaporate into exasperation.

"Doppo... the hair tie you gave me broke..." In her hand laid the unfortunate victim, a deep green-colored hair tie with a matching ribbon tied around it.

The door swung shut as she lowered her head in shame. Once it clicked, Doppo let out a sigh and massaged his temples. "It's just a hair tie, Emi. They break. It's nothing to get upset over."

"But it was one of yours..." 

Lowering his hand and shaking his head lightly, Doppo left the new hire's side and made his way to his sulking sister. "Here," he said as he pulled a plain hair tie of the same color from his pocket, one of many for such situations.

"Mm?" She looked up with small tears still lining her lashes.

Taking the broken hair tie from her hand, he swiftly undid the simple knot holding the ribbon to it. After pocketing the broken one, he tied the ribbon to the new hair tie. He motioned her to turn around and she quickly complied. After just a few seconds, he was done and her hair was put back into its usual low ponytail. "Better?" he asked, like he had countless times before in similar situations.

"Yeah. Thanks, Aniki." She turned around and gave him a hug, to which he returned in his usual fashion by patting her shoulder. Being tall enough to see over his shoulder, she blinked a few times at the person standing on the other side of the room, the tears completely gone from her lashes now.

Seeing that he had finally been noticed, Dazai offered a close-eyed smile and a wave.

Parting from the hug, her grey-green eyes gave the two males a quizzical look as her gaze went back and forth between the two.

Seeing why she was giving him that look, Doppo explained. "Ah, right, you weren't here when he arrived..." He cleared his throat. "Emi, this is Osamu Dazai, our newest hire," he introduced.

"I know who he is, I'm just surprised to see him..." Emi said, earning a raised brow from her brother.

"Really? You two already know each other?" In most circumstances, he wouldn't bat an eye at something like this, but after that brief look he had gotten from the male earlier... he wasn't sure how to feel. And unless they had met when Emi was on a case without him or just investigating on her own, then... They must have met back then...

"That's right," Dazai replied, a smile still present on his face. "Though, it'd be a lie if I said I expected to meet you here, Emi."

"Sure it would be, Dazai." Emi didn't exactly know how to feel about Dazai's presence either. For two whole years, the man disappeared. Even when she asked the mice, cats, and birds to keep an eye out for him, he only showed up a total of four times. And before that... she was always advised to keep her guard up around the man, and for good reason. Osamu Dazai was never known for his kindness or generosity. They even had a saying about him: "The greatest misfortune for Dazai's enemies is that they are Dazai's enemies." With that type of saying going around about someone, it's no wonder everyone thought the guy was born to be a mafioso. His blood ran Port Mafia black, and Emi wasn't sure if two years was enough to clear that. She wasn't sure if a lifetime was enough even.

He let out a small airy chuckle. Dark brown, almost black, eyes locked with green-grey ones and, for the second they were locked, it was as if the two had a silent agreement.