2

The sight in front of Emi was another normal occurrence: Doppo yelling at Dazai, though the river between them was a new addition. Her eyes moved from her brother, who was at the bottom of the set of concrete stairs she was descending, to the other side of the river. First, her gaze landed on a rather ragged-looking male who had badly cut short silver hair, heterochromatic purple and yellow eyes, looked to be about her own height, and wore slightly tattered light grey-blue clothes. Is he from an orphanage? she thought before her gaze moved to the taller man, who was currently talking to the boy as Doppo was still shouting obscenities across the body of water. His dark eyes almost immediately locked with hers and, without hesitation, his lips pulled into a small smile as he lifted his hand to wave, to which she easily returned. That man was Osamu Dazai. He had short, mildly wavy dark brown, almost black, hair with eyes just as dark to match. His attire wasn't nearly as dark though. In fact, the darkest thing he wore was the black vest that covered the pale blue dress shirt he wore. Other than that, the trench coat was sand-colored, his bolo tie a brown with a turquoise pendant, his pants beige, and his shoes were a dark brown color - the color actually reminded her of dirt. Lastly, usually clean, but currently damp, bandages peeked out from his sleeves and the collar of his shirt. 

"DON'T USE MY MONEY AS YOU PLEASE, DAZAI!!" Doppo shouted across the river as he threateningly waved his dark green notebook at the man.

"You know, I just realized I forgot my wallet," Emi voiced as she reached the bottom of the stairs. "And I haven't eaten since breakfast," she added as she stopped next to him with a rather innocent smile while he glowered down at her, his brow twitching in annoyance, steam practically coming from his ears, at this point.

┉┈◈◉◈┈┉

With a satisfied sigh, Emi set down her second bowl of pork udon, the empty bowl making a quiet "thunk" sound on the wooden table. The two older males' voices were like the soft music being played somewhere in the shop, despite one of them chewing the other out for always ruining his schedules with his ridiculous actions. Usually, she hated his lectures but didn't mind when they were being directed at someone else. In fact, it was rather fun watching someone get scolded than getting scolded herself.

"Om nom nom nom?" 

She looked at the boy next to her with slightly raised brows. "Yeah," she replied with a light nod as she set the chopsticks in her empty bowl. "It does get pretty entertaining though," she added with a smile before looking past his stack of more than fifteen empty bowls from all the chazuke he had ordered to her brother, who had just slammed his notebook on the table.

"THIS IS NOT A SCHEDULE BOOK! IT IS THE BOOK OF MY IDEALS, AND NOWHERE IN IT DOES IT SAY THAT MY PARTNER SHOULD BE A SUICIDAL MANIAC!! OR THAT MY OWN SISTER SHOULD BE A LAZY BUM WHO EATS AND SLEEPS ALL DAY!"

"Heeey, I forgot to eat today," she said in an offended tone as she put a hand over her heart.

"THAT'S NOT THE POINT!" This time, his wrath was directed at her, but all she did in response was stick her tongue slightly out.

"Nomom?"

"Shut up," Doppo said with a sigh, calming down significantly as he settled back down into his seat. "And nowhere in my planned budget does it mention treating some brat to ungodly amounts of chazuke either."

"Omon?"

"Like I said, it's work! The three of us are trying to locate a deadly beast by request of the military!"

"How are they even communicating?" Dazai asked as he leaned on the table, resting his cheek on his hand as he watched the two talk as if the simple act was some sort of circus performance.