Vol.18 Ch.41: The Will to Fight

Start from the beginning

At least, that's what he expected the insecure girl to do. However, the move she pulled next defined all expectations.

I-It's coming! Nia saw the scourge flying right toward her! She totally messed up there by getting distracted. Her self-doubt was going to be the end of her!

The time she spent contemplating her next move halted her entire momentum, and the enemy didn't let that opportunity slip. The Korean monster seized full control of the battle in an instant.

B-But, I'm not scared! Nia declared. I mean, it's super scary and stuff, but I'm not scared of you, you monster! I just gotta dodge it...!

Nia couldn't let the enemy land this hit for free, so she rolled! However, this roll wasn't meant to escape the scene. And, it wasn't a roll to the side, either.

No, Nia rolled straight at the monster in front of her! She rolled forward, prepared to strike down her foe! Or at least, a part of her was prepared for this...

E-Eh!? Nia exclaimed a moment after making that bold move. A-Am I seriously doing this!? I mean, I did want to hit him with the dagger, but this is super risky!!!

Regardless, there was no going back now. Her Drow was rolling forward, ducking under the lashing scourge. She closed the distance between them in an instant.

Scary! But, this range is good! Nia realized. And, he will be stuck in a recovery animation for a bit, so this is the perfect chance...!

Nia took out her black dagger as soon as she recovered. STAB! She thrust it at the monster in front of her!

Even though the range of Cursed Dagger was poor, Apprentece had no chance of dodging this one from point-blank, not while he was locked in a recovery animation. Or, so Nia thought...

WHISH. The dagger pierced through something, but that something was just empty air.

"Eh...?" Nia blinked in confusion. "But, I was in range, and..."

She didn't mess up her aim, did she? No, she definitely didn't. Even amidst this fast-developing situation, Nia managed to maintain a good degree of focus, so her thrust should've been spot-on.

So no, it wasn't Nia who missed. It was her opponent who moved! Even though the guy was supposed to be stuck recovering from the whiff, he somehow managed to sidestep Nia's point-blank stab!

It's that Korean hack again! Nia seethed. Just how many cheats can one step cancel fit!?

It was absurd. First, the guy used KC offensively to prevent Nia from stepping out of his attack range. Now, he used it defensibly to dodge a point-blank strike that should've definitely connected. It's like this one technique was breaking all the rules of the game!

So, what do I do now!? Nia gulped. I'm literally next to him, and each of his attacks hits like a truck. Do I run? Can I even run? I don't think so. But, I can't beat him in a melee fight, either...

"You won't be able to run away," Yuel stated matter-of-factly. "Just keep attacking."

"R-Right!" Nia got the answer she was searching for. So, she ignored the fact that this telepathic robot somehow read her mind and fired a bolt at her opponent!

This was a desperate last stand. Her death was all but assured at this point, but Nia nonetheless stood her ground and fought. She wasn't going to let this Korean superhuman scare her...!

Of course, the enemy lashed back right away.

Hmm. I didn't expect this. Jin thought. I was sure she'd run away the moment her HP dropped low, but she's being surprisingly brave this time. Or reckless, rather.