Chapter 4

One fine afternoon, Saanvi and Preeti were working in the kitchen laughing and giggling. 

Suddenly they heard Viraj shouting at someone making them look at each other in horror. Immediately washing their hands they moved out to find their father-in-law looking enraged while fisting a paper. 

Saanvi looked at her husband as Viraj was shouting at none other than her husband for something which is unknown to her. 

"Ye sheher naukari dhundhne gaya tha jhooth bol kar" Viraj's voice boomed making everyone scared. 

"Jhooth nahi bola tha maine bas sach chupaya tha" Abhiraj replied unaffected by his father's anger. Viraj looked at abhiraj in disbelief at his silly answer. 

"Padma ise bol de ki koi naukari vaukri nahi krega ye" Viraj declared looking at Padma angrily.

"Aapke vajah se mai 3 saal se na chahte hue bhi kheti ka kaam kar raha hu aapke vajah se meri padhayi hote hue bhi koi mahatv nahi hai sirf aapke vajah se mujhe apne pasand ka kaam karne nahi mil raha hai. Aap kyun nahi samajh rahe hain ki mujhse ye kheti nahi hoti hai maine apni padhayi kheti karne ke liye nahi ki hai. Aap mujhe sheher se dur padhayi karne ke liye bhej sakte ho to mujhe sheher jaa ke kaam karne nahi de sakte? Mujhe sheher me khud ka vyavasaay shuru karna hai aapko itni si baat kyun nahi samajh aati hai" Abhiraj said fed up with his father's behaviour. 

"Vyapar shuru karna hai to kar uske liye kon rok raha hai tujhe lekin naukari nhi krega tu" Viraj said making abhiraj irritated. 

"Mujhe aapke diye hue paiso se vyavasaay shuru nahi karna hai mujhe apne khud ke paiso se karna hai aur mai naukari kar ke anubhav lena chahta hu" Abhiraj said trying to explain his point. 

"Maine bol diya to bol diya tu naukari nahi karega tujhe padhaya likhaya kisi ke neeche kaam karne ke liye nahi tha agar vyavasaay shuru karna hai to kar koi nahi rokega" Viraj said with finality. 

"Mai naukari karunga aur aap koi nahi hote ho mujhe rokne wale karli aapne apni marzi jitni karni thi ab mai aapko apni zindagi ke faisle nahi lene dunga" Abhiraj shouted angrily making Saanvi shiver in her place hearing his tone. 

"Abhiraj ijjat se baat kar pitaji hai vo tere" Padma said angrily hearing abhiraj's tone. 

"Isko apni marzi se zindagi jeeni hai na to thik hai abse isko jo karna hai vo kare jaise jeena hai vaise jeeye" Viraj said looking at abhiraj angrily and went from there throwing the paper at abhiraj's face making abhiraj clench his jaw in anger. Padma also went from there with a disappointed look.

Picking up the paper Abhiraj went to his room in rage. Seeing Abhiraj angry she didn't want to go and face him fearing he might burst his anger at her. 

She looked at Preeti who gestured her to go behind Abhiraj to which Saanvi shook her head pleadingly. 

Just then the front door opened and Abhiraj's brother, Atharva walked in. Seeing their tensed face he asked "kya hua?" 

Preeti narrated everything that happened. Atharva nodded and said he will talk to his father. 

Atharva went to freshen up and talk to his father. Saanvi hesitatingly went to their room where she found Abhiraj sitting on the bed clutching his hair. 

Saanvi went to his side and hesitatingly kept her hand on his shoulder. He looked at her with red bloodshot eyes making her scared. 

"Ji aap thik hai?" she asked with fear evident in her eyes. Her hands shivering looking at his eyes and the veins popping from his neck and forehead. 

He stared at her and her hand with a blank expression for a few minutes making her retreat her hand. She looked down when he didn't answer anything. Thinking she had offended him in someway she was about to go back but gasped feeling his rough and strong hands on her waist pulling her closer and hugging her waist tightly burying his face on her waist. Holding his shoulder for support she looked down at him feeling a million butterflies dancing in her stomach. 

This felt more intimate than the sex they had. He was breathing deeply trying to calm himself. Her breathing got uneven when she felt him moving aside her saree from her waist keeping his cheek on her bare waist.

Keeping her one hand on his hair other on his shoulder she stood silently. 

There was a comforting silence between them. No one dared to break the silence. 

"Mai sheher jaa raha hu agle hafte kaam pe. Fir do char mahine baad aaunga tujhe le jaane tab tak tujhe yahi rehna hoga" he spoke without opening his eyes making her stiff. She felt an unknown ache in her heart hearing him.

This is the most he had spoken to her in their 4 months of marriage. And it was mostly in the bed when they get physical or when he wanted something. And when she initiates a conversation or asks something he always replies with a nod or in 2-3 words.

Though he speaks less and does not show his emotions but with his gentle behaviour he had somewhere made a place in her heart. She started loving him in these months as a husband. 

Today also when she came here she thought he will shout at her venting out his anger but again he proved her wrong. Since the day she got married to him she always felt grateful that he was not like her father who used to shout at her and her mother on silly mistakes and beat her mother when he is angry. 

Even though her father never raised his hands on her that too because her mother always protected her but she knew when she will get married she has to endure everything her husband will inflict on her. 

But everyday he proved her wrong with his gentleness. 

Not getting any reply he looked up and saw her busy in her thoughts. He pinched her waist making her hiss in pain. She looked down to find him staring at her while his one hand caressing her skin where he just pinched. Her cheeks turned crimson red when he kept staring at her without blinking his eyes. Looking away she tried to detach herself from his hold but suddenly she was lifted in the air. She shrieked in fear and held his neck tightly. She looked at him in horror. 

Lowering her on the bed he hovered her making her breath hitch. Feeling his warm lips on her soft ones she closed her eyes moving her lips slowly. When she felt her lungs giving up she tapped his shoulder. He left her lips and attached his forehead with her looking at her breathing heavily. 

She opened her eyes and saw him looking at with a very small smile. 

"Aap vaha kaha rahenge" she asked after sometime. He lifted himself off her and laid beside her looking at the ceiling. 

"Daftar ke paas hi hai Anuj bhaiya ka ghar vaha rhunga" he answered. She looked at him feeling her heart heavy. 

"Bhaiya ke ghar ke baju me hi pitaji ne kuch saal pehle zameen khareedi thi aur abhi bhi kaam chal raha hai aur 2-3 mahine lgenge use pura banne me" he again spoke making her nod her head. 

"Pitaji aapke is faisle se bohot gussa hain par" she said with hesitation fearing he might get angry again. 

"Kuch dino me unka gussa apne aap shant ho jaayega" he said rolling his eyes.  

After sometime she looked at the clock and gasped. It was time for everyone evening tea her mother-in-law will definitely taunt her again. Immediately getting up she put her veil back on her head she looked at him who was already looking at her amused. 

"Sabke chai peene ka vakt hogya hai, Hume chai banana hai" she said, nodding his head he also got up and went to the bathroom. She also went to the kitchen.

                    ***************

Please vote and comment as it motivates me to write! 😊