Chapter 16

Back in Marrakesh the next day, their first stop was to drop off the luggage at Reni's riad.

With time to spare before visiting Bisma, the couple strolled the streets.

"How do you feel about meeting with my mother again?"

They meandered by a bustling souk, and Reni couldn't help but take in the mesmerizing ancient architecture as they strolled through the narrow lanes of the Marrakesh medina, the heart, and soul of the city.

"Still scared and worried. It's nice that your brother will be there. Remind me again why Jamila couldn't come."

"She has a big exam to study for. This is Rahim's way of helping her get some peace."

"I feel good about us after Casablanca. Morocco is growing on me."

"I'm glad to hear it." He led her deeper into the medina, the air filled with the fragrant scent of spices and the melodic sounds of Arabic music. Reni's gaze took in the colorful market stalls, each offering something unique, from woven carpets and vibrant textiles to a dazzling array of jewelry.

She stopped to inspect the jewelry, hoping to find a charm to add to her bracelet and remember the trip. While a lovely assortment of gold and silver chains, earrings, and rings lay on the brightly colored woven tablecloth, no charms.

There was something at her feet. She peered down.

"Isn't that the cat from the other day?" She pointed at his mangled tail. "It sure looks the same."

"We're in a different part of the city. That would mean the little guy tracked you here."

"Let's see if he shows up on my bed."

"That's reserved for me."

She grabbed his hand, and they weaved through the labyrinthine alleys, marveling at the beautifully decorated doorways and ornate tilework that adorned the ancient walls. The medina was a sensory overload, with the vibrant colors, the lively chatter of locals, and the tantalizing smells of Moroccan delicacies.

"I'd still like you to visit my hometown," Reni said.

"Absolutely. That's only fair."

"Do we have time for tea?"

He checked his phone. "Yes, but no food. My mother will make enough for twenty."

"Noted." Reni couldn't deny that Marrakesh was beginning to feel at home. They found a cozy café nestled in a quiet corner. They sipped mint tea in a companionable silence. Reni enjoyed its refreshing flavor and watched the bustling city with infectious energy.

She let the excitement and wonder for her possible future wash over her. Time with his mother would be good. They'd bond, find commonalities, and recognize the love they shared for Zak. She was sure it would end on a positive note.

"Time to go," Zak said.

She stood, and the tea in her stomach began to churn.

Not long after, Reni pulled her long red curls into a messy top bun and watched the boys kick the soccer ball around from her window perch. In the far-below courtyard, the children's father sat with an older man at a small table, enjoying tea and chatting.

It was the second time she'd faced Zak's mother, and her body pulsed with nerves. Inside, the apartment was hot, and his mother silent. Reni had stepped onto the patio for some relief, but Bisma's skulking presence lurked behind her.

After their first disastrous restaurant meeting, Zak thought a home-cooked meal would bring everyone together. Reni had assumed she'd only have to impress Bisma, but Zak's brother, uncle, and two small cousins joined them.