"And she won't get mad considering we work together?"

"It's not like there's a policy against that," Riley said, 'I'm not your boss. I promise you, she isn't going to care that we're dating. She's going to care more about what happened to us."

I nodded, feeling more reassured, and Riley called Hailey, who picked up on the second ring.

"Riley, is everything alright?" Hailey asked after she picked up.

"Yeah. Well, no," Riley said, "Jenny and I won't be able to come to work tomorrow. And likely for at least a week after. I know we have off for Thanksgiving and Black Friday, but we definitely won't be able to work this Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday."

"Whoa, what happened?" Hailey asked, "And how do you know Jenny won't be able to work?"

"She's right next to me, actually," Riley said, "We just got discharged from the hospital."

"The hospital? Riley, what the hell happened?" Hailey asked.

Riley sighed, "We went out for Jenny's birthday this weekend in Lancaster, and we got attacked by these guys. They saw me kiss Jenny's cheek, and they were super homophobic and wound up physically attacking us. If you haven't guessed by now, Jenny and I are together."

"I had a hunch," Hailey said, "But oh my god...Riley. Were you and her badly injured?"

"I have some broken ribs and a bunch of scratches and bruises. Jenny is pretty banged up as well and has a black eye," Riley explained, "But...it could have been worse. A lot worse."

"Oh my god...you two are lucky that you weren't injured worse," Hailey said, "Riley...I am so, so sorry this happened. People are terrible."

In a joking tone, Riley said, "Well, I wouldn't call myself lucky. My mom died and my girlfriend and I were jumped within a month of each other."

"Riley! You know what I meant," Hailey said.

"I'm just messing with you, Hailey. I know what you meant. You're right, we are lucky it wasn't worse."

"Take as much time off as you need. Both of you. If you both want to fully work from home for some time once you're ready to come back, that's fine as well. Just keep me updated."

"We will," Riley said, "Thanks, Hailey."

When Riley hung up, I turned to her and asked, "Do you want to stay at my apartment tonight?"

"Sure," Riley said, "Let me just text Brooklyn that I will be doing so. She left your place not long ago, she said Sunshine was happy to have her company."

After my parents had left the hospital, I texted Riley from my room about how they reacted. A little while after hanging up with Hailey, Riley turned to me and said, "I'm proud of you, Jenny. For coming out to your parents. I should've told you that earlier."

"You didn't have to," I said, "In some ways, it almost pales in comparison to what happened to us."

"It's still a really big deal."

"It is," Stephanie nodded from the driver's seat.

"I know there's going to be major fallout from it." I said, "Especially with my mom. I'm just glad in some ways that I got to do it on my own terms, and not be outed by Kristen."

"Ah, yes, the Wicked Witch of Pennsylvania," Riley said, "I think it's super important that you got to come out on your own terms. Obviously, I'm here for you, whatever happens with your parents now that you're out."

I put my hand on Riley's and smiled at her, "Thank you."

Stephanie dropped Carmen off at her place first, and then we drove back to our apartment. It felt like forever since I had been there. Not just one day.