Chapter 27: The Ultimatum

Start from the beginning

Kyra stopped, dumbstruck. She had always viewed Karik'ar as a hulking mass of muscle, with little brains to boast of. "Did anyone tell you, Karik, that you're wiser than you look?"

Karik'ar chuckled. "No one to date. But when I go off like this, Skaria tells me to shut up. She says I sound like some preacher."

"You do," Kyra said, "but I don't think it is a bad trait to have." Karik'ar nodded. "Can I ask you something else?" Kyra waited for him no nod, to answer her in some way. He looked at her. "Why did you hate Thaen?"

Karik'ar stood completely still. "That's... well, it's difficult. And very personal."

"Sorry I asked," Kyra said, face downcast.

"I'll answer it if you answer one of my questions," Karik'ar said. Kyra nodded. "And as for why I hated Thaen, that goes back to the Fall of Elysion. I was told that the Vesperati and Calixa Fallen, the two of them, had a vendetta against our peoples, and had sent plagues of insanity and famine to the Kai'Draen. Destroyed them. And for this sin, the Calixa and Vesperati could only atone with the blood of their people."

"I heard it said that what you said is the same reason for the Vesperati's hatred of you. And the Calixa." Kyra vaguely remembered that from her history lessons.

"I'm more inclined to think it is our repeated invasion attempts." Karik'ar sighed. "I had always been told that Vesperati hunger for our blood, that they're parasites, the spawn of apes and rats. Nothing good can come out of them. Thaen however, is not that. He's an idiot, and annoying one at that. But he's a kind soul."

Kyra nodded. "I like him. He's... different. Makes me laugh sometimes." She looked up at the brawny, broad-shouldered Kai'Draen. "Okay, your turn. Ask away."

Karik'ar sat down next to her. "Alright." He thought for a moment. "Why are you afraid of Laidu finding out who you are?"

The question hit Kyra like a blow to the stomach. "What?" she whispered, mostly in disbelief.

"Why do you hide, milady?" he asked.

"You know the kinds my father associates with. You know how they feel about the Vesperati, the Changed, the Tethyd. I like Laidu. And I do not want him to think that I hold their beliefs."

"The Kai'Draen have a saying. 'The fruits of belief are words and actions.' I do not think Laidu is one who would judge you by your father's s words. He is a very lofty soul. He is better than that."

"A... lofty soul?" Kyra asked, confused.

"The kind of soul gifted with trial and sufferings, so that others do not need to suffer what they could not handle."

"I've seen the loftiest of souls sell themselves for enough gold," Kyra said bitterly.

Karik'ar glared at her. "Listen to yourself. Has Laidu ever asked you for anything? Compensation? Money?"

"Exactly. And I want to keep it that way."

Now this time, it was Karik'ar that was confused. "What do you mean?"

"Every man in my life, even you, has only helped me and only was kind to me for money. Servants were paid to be nice. Young men were interested in me and courted me, but they didn't see me. Their eyes were fixed on my fortune." She paused. "Don't call me 'milady.' And don't tell Laidu."

Karik'ar sighed. "I'll honor your wishes, but I caution against it. I have lived the lie. And when you have to look those you love in the eyes and lie to their face, it is one of the worst feelings in the world. Eventually, you begin to question if the love you have for them is genuine. That is one of the worst things in the world to do to yourself." He looked info Kyra's eyes. "You want to go down that path?"