Chapter: Death Walks

Start from the beginning

Cyrus flapped his own arm which caused a long blade to slip out. He grabbed it and very closely parried the first strike. This began the first mix of clang and slice between the two as the sound didn't even seem to echo around them.

'God damn...this kid is fast!' he cursed in his thoughts as he narrowly missed the tip of the scythe from splitting his chin open. The constant flashing of this weapon made Cyrus force theorize. 'Is this guy a reaper too? Yeah there's no way I'm- Fuck fuck fuck!'

The boy stopped using his scythe and attempted to lunge his fist into Cyrus's gut. Once again, the trained assassin grabbed his wrist and swung his own fist. The strike hurt himself more than his attacker but Cyrus managed to make some impact.

That impact being his ability to snap and dislocate the being's jaw to the left. He seemed highly unfazed by it, however. Cyrus didn't wait around for questioning as he spun around the reaper and stabbed his blade to the back of the reaper's head.

It did nothing. Not to his surprise anymore. The reaper was now plainly annoyed by his actions and it only spelled death. This time Cyrus didn't even have a chance to blink, with a small gust of the wind, he was held by the throat. The reaper easily crushing and pushing the man down to his knees.

"Alright, time out." A voice said suddenly.

The reaper was grabbed from behind and tossed away like a pebble.

Gasping for air, Cyrus marveled at the merciful sight of Mori Calliope who combed her hair back and had a look of irritation on her face.

"Calliope!" The other repear roared in anger as he jumped back to his feet. "How dare you intervene?! You defy the will of-"

"Ted, knock it off. I'm really not in the mood."

After Calli said this, the reaper's tone completely shifted into that of a childish whine.

"...Aw, come on!" He twirled his scythe and strapped it back on his back. "This is my first real job handed down by death-sensei! Don't ruin this for me!"

"You're still a 2nd year, not a real reaper." She hit his head with the butt of her much more intimidating scythe.

Cyrus got up to his feet after stabilizing his breath. "Can someone tell me what's going on?"

"No, be quiet." Calli shut him up. "Anyway, what's death sensei got to do with this? You're not strong enough to open up portals so it's either got to be him or another big shot. If he wanted to speak to me he knows he can just call me."

"He doesn't." Ted answered. He then pointed at Cyrus. "He wants him."

"Why me?"
"Why him?"

Calli was clearly not expecting this situation. She had only expected that Cyrus falling in here was an accident, but what is she supposed to do now?

"I can't say, he just ordered me to grab him and bring him to the sanctum once he opened the portal." Ted shrugged.

"And you didn't think to ask for more details?" Calli crossed her arms.

"You want me to question death? Sorry Calli, not everyone is as reckless or buddy buddy with him as you are." He scoffed.

"I thought all reapers had the same ranking and general similarities." Cyrus said. "And, I don't know, a black hooded cloak?"

"Is that racist?" Ted said.

"That's gotta be racist." Calli muttered as the two stared at Cyrus.

"Hey, give me a break. None of this is exactly on textbooks in first grade for me."