Chapter 42: Tongue On Tongue

Start from the beginning

Ferro clasped the Nervous Man on the shoulder. "Federico, relax. I am not here on business, nor am I aware of any late payments. I'm here for my lunch reservation. We'd like a booth in the back."

Nervous Man inhaled a large, calm breath. "Oh." His skin color went from a deathly, oxygen-deprived purple, to a more pallid shade. "Yes, of course. Yes, follow me."

Ferro and I scooted into the same soft leather booth that we'd slipped into the last time we were at the restaurant. We sat across from each other, which seemed a lot less intimate, but I didn't say anything. I was starting to get shy again and cursed myself.

"Wine?" the waiter asked both of us.

"No thank you," Ferro said. I analyzed his profile as he turned his head to our waiter. "Just water for me." I wanted to kiss that smooth, carved jaw. I wanted to kiss everything, on him, the more I was thinking about. Stop it. He has to prove himself to you.

And holy water for me.

"And for you, Miss?"

"Do you have Shirley Temples here? No alcohol, please."

The waiter laughed. "They are not on the drink menu, but we can make you one," the waiter said.

"I'll have one of those, too," Ferro added, a smile pulling at mouth. His dark gaze slid to me, and I noticed a little cynical smile dancing on those sensual lips. I could tell he thought my drink order was cute, without him even saying it. "Would you like me to order for you now, tigrotta? Or do you want to look over the menu?"

"Order what we didn't eat last time," I said, and then teased him. "So we can't order any of that cake that you slipped on."

"So funny." He narrowed his eyes at me, before returning to the waiter. "We'll both be ordering Linguine all'aragosta o aall'astice. Salad and bread on the side." He added something else in Italian, and then winked at me.

"Of course, Mr. La Morte." The waiter collected our menus and left.

"What was that last thing you said to him in Italian, you sneaky bastard?" I asked. "You totally just talked smack behind my back!"

He didn't even deny it. "What are you going to do about it?"

"I could throw pasta at you again?" I quipped.

He stuck his tongue out at me.

"Oh, you little..." I trailed off.

Ferro scooted into the middle of the booth and inclined his finger towards himself, beckoning my closer. His eyes were wicked, and I knew his attentions would be too.

"Come here, bella. If I wanted to sit across from you, we would have sat at table, yes?"

"We sat across from each other the last time we were here," I reminded him.

Ferro leaned back in the booth, watching me intently. "Then I'll stare at you until you come over here."

I leaned forward and stared back at him, cupping my chin in my hands "This is nothing new. You always stare at me."

"Beauty is always worth staring at."

"Oh, gag me. Did you get that from Tumblr or WeHeartIt?"

"What is Tumblr? We heart what?"

"You need to get out more, Linguini."

Ferro chuckled and leaned forward on the table, mimicking my position. "I have a secret to tell you."