Charlene-Chapter 14

When I went home that day and told my mum I got detention, she freaked out.

"How could she get a detention!" My mum screams while massaging her temples.

My father holds her, trying to smooth things over. "Well, it's not that big of a deal, I'm sure. Right hon?"

"Yea mum, I just got detention 'cause of some low life, petty teacher. Plus, I was just rolling up my skirt." I cross my arms in defence.

"You're going to school to learn, not be a slut!" She turns to dad. "Tell your daughter she needs to be more like a lady! Why should she be showing so much skin anyways?"

I roll my eyes, what out-of-date thinking is my mother going through? Even when I told her I was gay she didn't bat an eye. "Dad, tell mum she's thinking like showing my knees will get me pregnant, god."

My dad glimpses back and forth between me and my mum. "Umm, c'mon now ladies, I'm sure we can sort this out. Now, first, don't talk about your mother like that please, sweetie, and honey, you have to admit, those skirt lengths are ridiculous."

I let out a sigh, "Thank you."

All my mum does is shake her head and trail off to her room, as she does that she says, "you're punishment is sorting through the file room." 

"No, mum, wait I'm sorry-"

"No excuses, young lady!" She demands right before she slams her door. And of which, is the start of my new, on-going headache.

***

"Ugh! Yea, just because I rolled up my skirt my mum's making me sort through the whole file room." I grit my teeth.

Tyler's on the other line, listening to my rant. "What's so bad about this file room anyways?"

"You don't know, girl." Just thinking about it is pissing me off. "It's like this room of files we keep of everyone we know, relations, dirt, anything and everything, really. It hasn't been organised for so long, and whenever we need to know something about someone, we just use tech. It's been inactive for the longest time. So, it's been unorganised for years."

I hear Tyler's small laugh, "knowing you, that work will kill you and bring you back from the dead just to kill you again." And soon, his small laugh tuns full on hysterical.

"Fuck off dude, I'm a hard worker." I say, flipping though a file and putting it on the shelf where it's alphabetically in order. "Anyways, I gotta go, need to sort through said files. It's gonna take me a million years."

"Well have fun, we should go to that cafe I've been mentioning to you after you finish." He suggests.

I place another useless file on the shelf. "Sounds good to me, I'll need a distraction after this."

"Alright, see you."

After he hung up my reality hits me, and hits me hard, how the fuck and I supposed to sort through thousands of files?

***

After sorting through most of the files, I start sorting through my classmates. One of which catches my eye.

Sarah,

13yrs

Parents owe 1.2 Mil

...

There's other information, I knew they owed us money, but I didn't know they owed us that much. Hmm, if it magically disappeared, then I'm sure they would call off the marriage. Kang's are so predictable, they don't want to be combined and shared, they would rather be solo and independent with their business.

Interesting...

Anyways, as I flip through more of the pile of my classmates, I stop at Angela's. I'm sure dirt on her could come in handy one way or another.

Angela,

12yrs

Going to boarding school-Benington Prep in the winter.

...

Benington Prep? In the winter? How come I haven't heard anything? Her and her group would be talking about it 24/7. Even more interesting...

***

Ironic, a few days ago Angela was staring at me, now I'm staring at her. How the turn tables... English was boring anyways, always sucks, never really learn anything.

*RING*

Finally, as I get up I pull Angela to the side. "Hey, we need to talk"

"About what?" She's already reluctant as is.

"I heard you were going away, to a boarding school."

She stops her fidgeting and looks up at me, shocked. "How'd you know that?"

I smirk, "mate, I have my ways"

"But...I haven't told anyone. Unless you're stalking me." She chuckles to herself.

As soon as she ends her sentence my phone rings.

"Hello?" I say, still keeping eye contact with Angela.

"Sweetie? Yes, I have a problem, Paul's having trouble with a client, Xavier. You know how troublesome he is, I still think he's too young to be the don of the Chicago, I mean, 15? C'mon."

"Dad." I sternly remind him to keep on track.

"Right, right, anyways, you always had a way with him, maybe because you're as deranged as him. I need you to sort out the problem, now. I've already called the school. Just get to Xavier before there's any bloodshed."

I sigh, hell, if there isn't on day where I'm at peace. "I'll be there in a second."

"Alright, be quick now. Love you."

"Love you too." I hang up and put the phone back into my pocket.

I find Angela staring with aghast plastered across her face.

"Deal? Bloodshed? Don?" She whispers to herself, she must've over heard some bits of my phone call.

"It's not what you think." I state calmly. "Deal as in business deal, bloodshed, figuratively, and don as in..." What's another meaning for don other than mafia head? I take out my phone quickly and type it into google. "What they call uni teachers in Britain."

She still eyes me with caution, "Whatever." She starts walking away.

***

"Xavier, what's this I hear about you giving Paul a hard time." I step into the meeting room, red carpet, smoke filling the air.

He stands up from his seat, "Charlene! Been a while, hm?"

We dap each other up (I'm so sorry I wrote this) and sit down, I hear Paul whisper under his breath about us being batshit crazy or something. Though I will give it to him, I admit, I'm not fully right in the head.

"So what's the problem?" I ask.

"I just don't agree with the prices, I mean, 2 mil? Tony can do it for 1" He reasons.

I give him the look, "Xavier, then why don't you go to Tony?" He doesn't respond. "Because we actually have quality. And now that your customers are hooked on ours, if you go back to that cheap stuff then there'll be some actual bloodshed."

Rather that understanding, I see him being annoyed that he can't be a cheap skate. "You have the money, stop being a whiney bitch and pay."

I get up and start heading out the door, not hearing a single bit of disagreement from him. "And Paul?"

"Yes?"

"If you can't handle a 15 year old, just fucking say that." I then slam the door on my way out. Fucking hell, we need new employees. I have detention today too.