Sarah-Chapter 2

The next day at school in English, Tina and that one other girl were still talking specifics, while Charlene and the other one were still giggling.

"So.." What was I doing? I never initiated conversation. Damn it, now I have to say something. "Are we almost done with the project." I sound so dumb right now.

"Not even close." Tina interjected.

I nodded awkwardly at that. They all soon went back to their conversation. Sabrina still not giving me the time of day.

"Sabrina." I called out. Fuck, my tone was way too serious.

She stopped mid giggle and looked up at me. "You're still friends from primary?" I glanced at Lisa, trying to tease her. I recognised her from primary, she and Sabrina would always hangout. 

"I legit cannot make friends," She smirked, giggling once more. "I'm too anti social." Her tone playful.

"Right." As I said that, our knees brushed each others. My spine going ridged. 

Charlene then turned to the other members, asking questions. Them laughing, having fun. I felt like I shouldn't be there, out of place.

***

After school my parents called.

"Later tonight you'll meet your soon to be husband at a dinner." My father announced.

"Right." I whispered.

"You will not exhibit your tomboy behaviours there."

"Yes sir." I say sarcastically.

"I mean it, Sarah." His voice threatening.

"I know." I say bluntly.

"I'm having a dress sent to you later tonight, don't be late." My father demanded.

"I get it." I sigh. "You want me to be a pink barbie doll." 

Before my father could say any anything else I disconnected the call. Why couldn't he just get off my back? I dialled Angela's number. By the third ring, she picked up.

"Hello." Even through the phone I could hear something being wrong.

"What's wrong?" I immediately asked.

She sighed, "Nothing. Did you need anything."

I'd have to talk to her about that later. Something was on her mind, and that didn't sit well with me.

"You're coming to dinner tonight, right?" I pushed away the thought of something hurting her.

"Yea, of course." She masked a cheery tone.

"Good." I leaned back in my chair. "My father wants me to meet my future husband. If you weren't going tonight I just know I would lose it."

She chuckled so lightly that it bearly got caught in the call. "Remember thanks giving?" She laughed even more. "You sent someone to the hospital just because he tried to grab your hand."

"He didn't even ask." I defended myself. Plus, it wasn't even because of that, it was just the icing on the cake. Earlier, he was flirting with Angela and she was obviously uncomfortable. Man couldn't take the hint.

***

After my workout and shower, I checked my phone. Fuck. I forgot all about Sabrina's text. I opened it.

Charlene: You doing any of the work??

Sarah: No.

Charlene: Lol, me too.

Sarah: Do you feel bad?

Charlene: Well...is it bad if I don't?

Sarah: Not necessarily.

Charlene: Good, because I don't really.

Charlene was always like that. Mischievous, playful, like a little devil. What she lacked in team work skills she owned up to in social skills, making everyone laugh and have a good time. A personality hire if you will.

***

At seven, I started to get ready, taking a shower, putting on my make up, doing my hair, and getting dressed. After I got ready I got a call from Angela.

"Yes?" I said as I answered the phone.

"Are you ready?" Angela asked.

"I'm as ready as I'll ever be." It still infuriated me that my parents tried so hard to find me a suitor.

 To throw me away, to be someone else's responsibility. I was bearly a teen yet they didn't see a problem in finding a fucking husband for me. As soon as I graduated I was going to have to marry whatever disgusting, pig-headed, asshole they deemed to be wealthy enough. I didn't have a say in this, it was how things were, it couldn't change, no matter how hard you fought it.

"I'll meet you outside in 10." Angela comforted me.

"Sure." I said darkly.

After our call I sat and brooded over my suitor my parents were so fond of. I knew this was going to happen eventually but i didn't want to believe myself. It was only a matter of time.

***

As I walked in the car behind Angela, I saw her white, puffy dress. She really did look like an angel, her creme, strappy high heels clicking on the pavement. Her long, ebony hair flowing behind her as a soft breeze , just like her soft beach curls.

When we came close to her car her chauffeur opened her door. She bent over for just a second long enough for me to see her bare thigh. And wow did it look sexy. Her upper thighs looked paler than her face, with them being skinny. I bet if I put my hand on it, it would already wrap around more than halfway.

I climbed in after her, my body stiff as my dress was tight and revealing-guess that's how my father wanted trap my new husband-I hated those types of clothes. I glanced over at Angela, us making eye contact.

"You look great." The words slipping from my mouth sub-consciously.

Not before long she blushed at my words, she turned away but I could see her pink ears and just the corner of her mouth to see she was smiling. Angela cleared her throat before turning to me, her face now only faint pink.

"Thanks." She fidgeted with her skirt frills. After a moment of silence she spoke again. "Do you know anything about him?"

She didn't specifically had to name him, I already knew who she was talking about. "His name is Marcus, came from old money."

She looks at me, expecting me to say more, but when I don't it hits her. And rather hard. We sit in more silence for longer untill she abruptly says, "So you've never met him?" She looks at me, her eyes glossy while blinking rapidly.

I shake my head. I have no idea why, it's not like she's the one marrying some pretentious asshole. She whips around, her back facing towards me and she starts wiping away her tears. I put my hand on her leg. Fuck. Now it's got me thinking about what's *under her skirt. Get your mind out of the gutter, she's your best friend for gods sake. Not to mention a girl. "You don't have to be all sad." I know it's not much help to say. But what do you do when people cry? It's an awkward thing.

After a few minutes she stopped crying and we started chatting about how I was gonna run away and we could live together on a remote island without ever worrying again. How I would give everything up for that. But I knew my father would rip the world to pieces, not for love, but for power. So he could gain something by marrying me off.

"Madams," Our chauffeur called out. "We have arrived."

God, I dreaded the party. I wish I could spend all my life in a little car, talking and giggling with Angela. She made me feel safe, like I could be myself. I sigh, getting out the car. I could already hear the jazz music from here.