I'm Bound By the Life You Left Behind

Chapter Song-"My Immortal" by Evanescence

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5anLPw0Efmo

September 8, 8:45 am

Levi-

Jax enters the shop as I sift through the box of cassettes looking for something to listen to.

"Mornin'," He greets me cheerfully while walking over to the car we're going to be working on.

"Hey," I reply, "Korn or System of a Down?"

"System of a Down," He answers almost immediately.

"Good choice," I pop the cassette into the old-ass stereo and turn the volume down a little so we can actually hear each other.

"What are we doing today?" He asks.

"We are working on a 1972 Porsche 911 later, but until that gets here we are scrapping this piece of junk," I gesture to the rusty pickup truck he's standing in front of.

"Yes! I love scrapping," He exclaims. I smile a little. His enthusiasm reminds me how much I loved working on cars as a kid. It sucks that getting old makes everything less exciting.

"I think you are the only person who has ever said that," I tease, handing him a pry bar.

"Maybe I'll be the shop's professional scrapper," He ponders getting started on the job.

"Hey, I wouldn't mind that. As long as I'm not the one doin it," I joke.

"Don't worry, I don't need you," He smirks. "You can go work on your fancy porches or whatever."

I laugh a little at his comment. "You so sure you're going to work here?" I raise an eyebrow at him.

"Yep. No doubt. All I have to do is finish highschool."

"You don't want to go to college or anything?" I ask.

"Not really...Is Harley going to college?"

I try to remember if we have ever talked about it. "She hasn't mentioned anything to me."

"Hmm...Ruby isn't going, Mikey says he is, but whenever we talk about it she doesn't say anything."

"She probably hasn't thought much about it," I say. No one in our family has gone to college so it wouldn't be weird if she didn't go. "What about Seb? He's been hanging out a lot with you guys."

"I dunno, and I don't care," Jax replies shortly. A sore subject...Interesting.

"What's your problem with him? Is he an asshole or something?" I ask curiously.

"No, I just don't like him," Jax insists. "I don't like a lot of people. He just happens to be one of them."

"Is it because you're afraid he's replacing you in the group?" At this point I'm teasing him a little.

"No," Jax scoffs. "They'd be lost without me. I'm like their backbone."

"Sure," I say sarcastically. He obviously doesn't want to talk about it so we just work in silence for a little while until the client with the Porsche shows up. Today Jax and I are the only ones in the shop so the work is all up to us. I occasionally tell him what to do, but he's pretty talented when it comes to cars.

"Hey Sweetheart," I hear Jax say from the otherside of the car. That means Harley is here.

"Hey! How's the work going?" I hear her ask.