She considered this. "I understand why you did it, Doug," she finally replied. "I just don't like it."

"Alright, jurors, follow me," a man called. Maddie looked at him and was immediately drawn to his bright blue eyes. His brown hair was neither short nor long, and his smile was reassuring and kind.

He's a good man, she thought, somehow knowing it was the absolute truth. His name badge read Det. Davis. She wondered how long he'd been a police officer. He looked like he was in his mid to late twenties. That seemed pretty young to have become a detective.

"I'll know if you need me," Doug said. He sent her into the juror room.

As Maddie and the others entered the room, Detective Davis was no longer in charge. Instead, an annoyed-looking man with glasses and a nasal voice said, "Sit down in every other seat. You are to be seated where you are told and must keep that seat for the rest of the day. When I speak, you listen. The rest of the time, you may entertain yourself quietly. No talking on cell phones or watching videos or playing music. When you are inside of a courtroom, there is to be no cell phone use at all. That means no phone calls, no texting, no social media, no games, nothing. If you are caught using your phone inside of the courtroom, you will be kicked out and forced to return to serve another day. You are all adults. Please act like it and follow the rules."

He began assigning the many potential jurors seats. Maddie eagerly sat in one of the front rows. She paid close attention to the juror orientation videos that discussed biases and the responsibilities of a juror. The entire process was fascinating to her.

Then, she sat and waited for her number to be called... And waited... And waited... And waited.

Maybe Zanna and Doug had been right after all. Just as she was about to give up hope of this day turning into something exciting, the man with the glasses sent them all to lunch.

Doug took one look at her face and laughed. "Not quite the thrill ride you were hoping for, huh?" He asked.

"Not yet," she admitted.

"Come on. I'll buy you lunch," he offered. He took her to one of the food carts and bought her two hot dogs, a pretzel, and a soda. Maddie had lived in New York City for eight months, but she'd yet to brave a food cart.

"Oh my God..." She mumbled as she bit into her first hotdog. "This is amazing!"

"Dirty water dogs are the best," Doug agreed.

She sampled the buttery, salty pretzel next. Her eyes widened as she savored the flavors. "Doug... This is the most delicious lunch I've ever eaten and it came out of a cart," she said in wonder.

"Now you're living like a New Yorker," he replied with a laugh.

"Thanks, Doug," she said. "You really know how to cheer a girl up!"

By the time she went back to the courthouse, Maddie was back to her old self. She resumed waiting. Finally, they called her group. She stood up and got in line, showing her juror card to the woman who was leading them to the courtroom.

"File in, starting from the front row, and take a seat. No cell phones," the woman reminded them. A few people groaned, but everyone put their phones away.

As Maddie took her seat, she noticed Detective Davis at the front of the room. She found herself smiling at him. He noticed, and after a moment, he smiled back kindly.

The lawyers began to question the potential jurors one by one. They were called up in groups of twelve. As the interviews went on, Maddie learned it was a murder case. When her group of twelve was called, she sat in the third seat. She waited patiently to be interviewed.